Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Twins - what were your earliest signs?

Moms of multiples (there seem to be A LOT of them on this site) what seemed to be the earliest signs that tipped off you or care provider that there was more than baby? Or did you just find out at your routine ultrasound without a clue beforehand?
    The reason I'm asking is because I'm 12 weeks pregnant and look HUGE and I'm absolutely sure of my dates, and at my last appointment I indeed measured more like 14 weeks. Also, the morning sickness this time around is INSANE (I'm talking trips to the ER to get rehydrated by IV). An early ultrasound has been ordered, will likely happen in a few days. I mean, it's probably still just a singleton, but I'm really curious about other's experiences. How did you find out you were having twins (or more!)?
    Mommy to Quinton Vladimir and Maeve Elisabeth

Current favourites: Pearl, Ruby, Cecilia/Cecily, Demetria, Emmeline, Elizabeth/Eliza, Beatrix, Evangeline, May/Maeve, Mia, Bella, Annabelle, Maria, Phoebe, Jemima, Jamila, Maisie, Sanna, Mercy, Aviva, Avalon
    Quinton, Kingston, Elijah, Jonah, Ezekiel, Sebastian, Cooper, Zebedee, Malachi, Linus, Titus, Fergus, Finnian

i have twins, but i can't help you with early symptoms! I had none. My twin pregnancy was so weird. I was barely nauseous except for between 8 and 10 weeks. That's actually when I found out I was pregnant too because I had a light period the month before. I went to the OB because I got a positive test and had two prior miscarriages. I also needed a note for my work since I was doing something that required doctor's release. Anyway, the test came back with VERY high betas and I had some cramping too so they suspected an eptopic pregnancy (since I told the dr I was 4 weeks along). They did an ultrasound and found 2 babies w/ heartbeats measuring 8 weeks. It was insane. At 8 weeks, I wasn't "big", but by 10-11 weeks, I really started to gain quickly...but I was doing a really high protein diet too so that might be why.

Extreme nausea and exaggerated other symptoms (fatigue, headaches, dizziness, shortness of breath) are also common for twin pregnancies.

With twins, I've heard you can sometimes feel movement earlier (13-14 weeks). This is also true of 2nd time moms though too. At your next appointment, you'll probably hear the heartbeat on the doppler for the first time right? This would be a time when your provider would see if there were multiple heartbeats. Also, second time moms do sometimes show earlier or measure a little ahead at first. Depending on the position of your uterus, that can also cause you to measure big.
    Wife to one great guy
    Mama to six pretty ladies: Scarlett (12), Penelope (9), Alice (3), Fiona (3), Lucille (16 mo.) & Coraline (16 mo.)

& 4 angels gone before us: Christian (7 wks), Amos (6 wks), Naomi (16.5 wks), & Hosanna (6 wks)

~We fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.~

Well I've definitely also an increase in headaches, migraines actually, combined with morning sickness that's a killer. I didn't experience that in my first pregnancy. My doctor already found a heartbeat, just one, but then again she was only looking for one. I'm probably worried/excited for nothing...well, not for nothing. One baby is awesome too!
    Mommy to Quinton Vladimir and Maeve Elisabeth

Current favourites: Pearl, Ruby, Cecilia/Cecily, Demetria, Emmeline, Elizabeth/Eliza, Beatrix, Evangeline, May/Maeve, Mia, Bella, Annabelle, Maria, Phoebe, Jemima, Jamila, Maisie, Sanna, Mercy, Aviva, Avalon
    Quinton, Kingston, Elijah, Jonah, Ezekiel, Sebastian, Cooper, Zebedee, Malachi, Linus, Titus, Fergus, Finnian

While I wasn't pregnant with multiples, they thought I was. I had extreme morning sickness and that is why they sent for an early ultrasound. Turns out, it was only one baby, but I was diagnosed with Hyperemesis Gravidarum (HG). If your nausea gets worse or doesn't let up, make sure you bring up this possibility with your doctor. It can become very serious if left untreated (I lost 40 pounds- weight I did not need to lose).
    My girls: Grace Patricia "Gracie Pat" & Eloise Martha "Elsie Mae"
    If we had a baby today: Moira Jane OR Desmond Walter
    Guys: Julian, Amos, Tobias, August, Silas, Peter
    Dolls: Iris, Marian, Hazel, Flora, Margo, Agnes

http://modernmonikers.wordpress.com

I have twins. The first sign was a very fast and very strong line on the pregnancy test. I think it said to wait 2 minutes or something and within seconds it was showing positive. (Not sure if this is normal at all though as this was my only pregnancy.) My other early symptoms were really intense cramping- so bad I was sure it was an ectopic pregnancy- and intense hunger. I didn't really have any morning sickness, although if I let myself get hungry at all I started to feel a bit queasy. No history of twins in our families or anything so we didn't really suspect twins until the ultrasound at 13 weeks revealed it. Wow were we surprised!!

I have definitely read that the second time around you can get a lot bigger much faster, and that the symptoms can be quite different than the first pregnancy.
    Mama to twin boys Oliver Graham and Luke Axel