Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Names Ending in -a more preferable?

Looking through the Top 1000 baby names In the US, I begin to notice that names ending in a pretty, girly -a are much higher up that their equilivant non-a-ending names.
    Even looking at the Top 4 for girls'. Isabella, Sophia and Olivia are much higher in the list than their relatives Isabelle, Sophie and Olive. The trend continues down the list:

Isabella [1] - Isabelle [105]
    Sophia [2] - Sophie [59]
    Olivia [4]- Olive [546]
    Alyssa [20] - Alice [172]
    Julia [55] - Julie [389]
    Maria [86]- Marie [575]
    Adriana [129]- Adrienne [696]
    Daniella [150]- Danielle [195]
    Elena [163] - Elaine [799]
    Diana [191]- Diane

Do you Berries agree?
    I personally much prefer Louisa to Louise and Diana to Diane, however, on the other hand, prefer Olive to the over used Olivia.
    I think that Parents see names ending in -a to be much more feminine as can see more Nickname possibilities.
    You Thoughts?
    Top Girls: Tessa, Audrey, Joyce nn Joy, Harriet, Lynn, Regina nn Reggie, Diana, Ivy, Anthea NN Thea
    Top Boys: Theodore nn Theo, Quade, Miles, Cormac, Keith, Isaac, Jude, Flynn, Max.

Irish name Indulgances: Donncha, Padraig, Méabh, Gráinne.

I used to want to tack -a or -ana on the end of everything to make it uber feminine. I'm sort of over that now, though Carolina as opposed to Caroline is still something I prefer.

I feel like 50 years ago there may have been a slight trend toward de femmeing names. So our mothers were called Diane and Sheryl and Susan... and now we (named Jennifer, Ashley and Jessica) won't pick names that remind us of middle aged women for our daughters. Instead we look farther back (following the hundred year rule) and find pretty, uber feminine victorian names. Or we try to update our mothers names into Diana or Susannah or something similar.

Or there's just something in the water that makes us want to tack -ana on the back of everything. Lol.

Sierra Ann
    No babies yet, just novel babies!
    Charlie, August, Jonas, Lincoln, Beckett, Whittaker
    Aurelie, Carolina, Lorelei, Selah, Annelie, Coralie
    http://distinctivelyknown.tumblr.com

It seems that names ending in A are more preferable, I'm not exactly sure why, maybe people feel it makes them more flowy and complete. On my list, the ones that end in a are; Aerica, America, Aquila, Arabella, Araminta, Athena, Azalea, Caribba, Cassia, Cinna, Flora, Gwyneira, India, Jaquetta, Luna, Lyra, Marina, Masha, Pandora, Rayna, and Vera. So I've got quite a few. But on your list of comparisons, I prefer the right side, the ones that end in -e or -ie. And on my list I prefer Sylvie to Sylvia. Hmm.

To me, most of the names not ending in -a could be nicknames for those that do. Like Sophia nn Sophie. That being said, I much prefer Alice, Marie, and Elaine to their -a ending counterparts. Of course, that could be because the seem more classic to me. I also think popularity has an effect. If Olivia were further down the list than Olive, would you prefer it? I would.
    My girls: Grace Patricia "Gracie Pat" & Eloise Martha "Elsie Mae"
    If we had a baby today: Moira Jane OR Desmond Walter
    Guys: Julian, Amos, Tobias, August, Silas
    Dolls: Iris, Hazel, Flora, Margo, Agnes

http://modernmonikers.wordpress.com

A large part of this seems to be a shift away from French forms, sometimes to Spanish or Italian forms.

In recent years, I've noticed myself drifting away from A endings, though more often to names that don't have familiar A-ending versions.