Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by emiliaj View Post
    In the scheme of life a few weeks is not worth stressing about and I totally agree with mimimommy that switching to a bottle not only can cause nipple confusion but negatively impact on long term speech development of your baby.
    I strongly disagree with this, it was my midwife that recommended I combi feed because baby was losing weight. At times, she was unable to get any milk out and she was miserable with trapped air because of it. When she was able to latch properly, it felt like she was permanently attached to me. My family doctor as well as my midwife and health visitor advised me to top up her feeds with formula. They wouldn't have advised this if it were proven that combi fed babies had speech problems?

Also nipple confusion wasn't an issue in my case. I'm aware that its a very possible reality though. I just don't agree with your point about speech problems.
    Proud Mama to Two Perfect Little Ladies.
    Big Girl, 25.04.2007
    Small Girl, 06.09.2011

Wanting to be Pregnant & Hoping for a 2013 Blessing.

Alice Victoria Primrose | Annabella Sophie Faye
    Noah Gabriel Joseph | Zachary Roman James

Vote on my name list here.

There is actually a link between bottle feeding and insufficient jaw development. A baby has to work harder at getting milk out of a breast and has to use his/her whole jaw, while bottle feeding pretty much only involves the tongue and cheeks (one of the signs that a baby is nursing properly is that his/her ears "wiggle" from the jaw movements, this does not happen with bottle feeding). This lack of jaw exercise can lead to an increased risk of speech problems as well as a need for braces later in life. Doesn't mean that it always happens, but studies show that it's more likely to. This may be hard thing to hear for a mother who bottle fed, especially if it was not by choice, but nevertheless it is information that the general public deserves to know about.
    However, in order to get the full benefit of jaw development through breastfeeding it estimated that the child should be breastfed for at least one year.
    Mommy to Quinton Vladimir and Maeve Elisabeth

Current favourites: Pearl, Ruby, Cecilia/Cecily, Demetria, Emmeline, Elizabeth/Eliza, Beatrix, Evangeline, May/Maeve, Mia, Bella, Annabelle, Maria, Phoebe, Jemima, Jamila, Maisie, Sanna, Mercy, Aviva, Avalon
    Quinton, Kingston, Elijah, Jonah, Ezekiel, Sebastian, Cooper, Zebedee, Malachi, Linus, Titus, Fergus, Finnian

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing.html

Could you try using a sling? This would allow you to be hands free, but also feed the baby as often as he'd like. It really is important to establish a good supply early-on. After 6 weeks, it's usually safer to start supplementing as needed. Just remember, it's all about supply and demand. He's a bigger baby and he might be demanding more than your other children did. The good news is that your body seems to be doing the right thing-- it's making more supply for the demand! It will get better! The first few weeks really are hard and the baby is growing so quickly in that stage. Regarding soreness, I really like the lansinoh cream. Also some nice nursing pads (change often so they stay clean/dry) are good for soreness.
    Wife to one great guy
    Mama to six pretty ladies: Scarlett (12), Penelope (9), Alice (3), Fiona (3), Lucille (16 mo.) & Coraline (16 mo.)

& 4 angels gone before us: Christian (7 wks), Amos (6 wks), Naomi (16.5 wks), & Hosanna (6 wks)

~We fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.~

Thanks crunchymama - sling is a good idea: hadn't thought of that! Thanks for that web link too - very informative!

As to the earlier question of whether he's gaining weight... drum roll please!... he now weighs 11lbs 5oz - so much for initial weight loss and back to birth weight by now... The health visitor gave me permission to be very tired! Otherwise all's fine!

I'm going to say a word that might alarm some breast-feeding advocates, but I have 5 healthy children that were all breastfed, so I am speaking from my own positive experience....pacifier. Shhhh...)