Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by arreisenlaluz9 View Post
    Aurelia was on my long list. It just doesn't do it for me, though. I love -lie endings!

What if Aurelie were pron Ahr-uh-lee instead of ohr-uh-lee?

I do like Aura. Also Auria/Aria. Eulalie feels a bit too... out there for the rest of my taste. Aurora is a little too disney, but it's beautiful. I sort of like Orly and Orla, also.

I just remember playing the song Aura Lee for a piano lesson when I was young and thinking it was such a beautiful melody. (Elvis Presley's song Love Me Tender was written with the same tune.) Sigh.
    At first glance, I would pronounce "Aurelie" as "Ahr-uh-lee."

I think it's a beautiful name.

Heh and it may look like I am biased because of my name, but I do sincerely think Aurelie is a good name. Orla reminds me of the word "orca." Eeep.
    Last edited by holst; February 17th, 2012 at 10:58 PM.
    Regards, Amelie Holst

As Freud would surmise, you're stuck somewhere bwtn the Annalie Phase and the Orly Phase. (;
    “And remember, my sentimental friend, that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others.” L. Frank Baum, The Wizard of Oz

Bahaha! Poppy, that made me laugh a LOT!

I suspected my problem was freudian in nature. But I figured it probably had to do with my mom (whose name is Laura Ann) and the fact that I am drawn to names that all that have serious drawbacks and all echo the sounds of her name. Hahahaha!

Holst: glad to know someone is with me on the Ahr pron. And you're in the states, so its not because you have a different accent, right? Most Californians I meet have pretty standard American accents.

I really love Aurelie and Aurelia, so sofisticated! Orla is pretty as well

Crushing on
    ♥ Rosa ♥ Milvie ♥ Elsie ♥ Flora ♥ Inga ♥ Adele ♥ Fionn ♥ Odin ♥ Ingo ♥ Thore ♥ Ellis ♥ Vilme ♥

among others

~ From Sweden - Feel free to ask if you want to know anything about Swedish names! ~

Quote Originally Posted by arreisenlaluz9 View Post

Holst: glad to know someone is with me on the Ahr pron. And you're in the states, so its not because you have a different accent, right? Most Californians I meet have pretty standard American accents.
    Well I grew up around many people who spoke Spanish and French. The "Ahr" sound is easy for me to identify when I'm already familiar with the names Aura (like Ahr-ah; similar to the pron. of Audrey - "Ahd/Odd-ree") or Aurelia (I pronounce it as "Ahr-elle-ee-a").

If I am speaking it in a general Californian accent, I suppose I would go either way - if I were someone who did not have the linguistic background similar to mine.

But I believe if a person has heard of "Aurora Borealis" or knows of the tale of "Sleeping Beauty" (so they are familiar with "Aurora"), it can be easy to assume "Aurelie" is pronounced "Ahr-ugh-lee/Ahr-ah-lee."
    Regards, Amelie Holst