Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by amarette View Post
    I speak Spanish and English, and live very near the border of Texas and Mexico. I can easily pronounce all the names you have chosen, however there are all just words to me. I can see how you chose these names based on meaning, but unlike most names these are just literal translations. There are a few names I have come across that you might consider: Flor (flower), Esperanza (hope), Luna (moon), Dulce (candy, sweet), and Estrella (star). I really hope you find a name that works for your situation.
    I definitely agree with this. I understand/read Spanish well but don't speak/write fluently, and even to me these are just words. They're very strange choices for names, and I have a feeling that they'll get pretty weird looks in Spanish speaking countries (or even English speaking ones.) Many classic Spanish names- Elena, Sofia, Mateo, Rafael- are used and easily pronounceable in both languages.

Thanks everyone!

Super helpful, definitely.

@ybp & thetxbelle- Yep, definitely know about the name list thing, and that word names aren't very common in Spanish speaking countries. Baby will be born and named in New Zealand, so we shouldn't run into any legal issue with a name. We are definitely looking at first names that can be pronounced phonetically in Spanish, even if they are not Spanish names, to help our wee one with pronunciation issues later. I'm not as worried about their name fitting in culturally, since we will clearly be foreigners anyway and will likely always stand out a bit.

@amarette- I do really like Luna, but a good friend has a dog named Luna that we love, so unfortunately I don't think we can get past that.

@elainelea- I like Mar alot. Marama (Mah-ra-ma) is also a common NZ name, it is Maori for moon.

@daisy451- Yep, I hear ya. But I have a feeling that our English name choices may also illicit some strange looks from English speakers. So maybe our tastes are just for slightly out-there names. (But hopefully not too out there!)

Again, thanks for the help. May bounce some Maori word names off you guys in a few days!
    Last edited by veggiemama; February 18th, 2012 at 01:53 AM.
    -VeggieMama (growing a baby and a garden down under in New Zealand)

Some of My Favorites This Week:
    Girls: Verti, Scarlett, Feliz, Hazel, Marigold, Poppy, Juniper, Bailey, Sadie
    Boys: Grover, Gus, Otto, Felix, Maathai, Amos, Jedediah, Jasper

A mí me gusta los nombres! Feliz is great! I love Paz, Luz, Perla, Vida for girls and Cielo y Amor for boys. Río is okay to me. Árbol and Yardin are great too. I agree with pp that a more traditional name would be better for assimilation, and I'm not sure if word/nature names have caught on in the same way. The more creative names might work best in the middle, or traditional middles to switch into in the Latin countries. No problemas with prn. Beatriz is my favoritest favorite.

Cheers!

˙·٠•●♡ Poppy
    “And remember, my sentimental friend, that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others.” L. Frank Baum, The Wizard of Oz

@poppy528- Thanks! I do love Vida, but my hub vetoed it. But Paz and Luz are great additions!
    -VeggieMama (growing a baby and a garden down under in New Zealand)

Some of My Favorites This Week:
    Girls: Verti, Scarlett, Feliz, Hazel, Marigold, Poppy, Juniper, Bailey, Sadie
    Boys: Grover, Gus, Otto, Felix, Maathai, Amos, Jedediah, Jasper

Girls:
    Feliz- The prettiest girl name on your list. I don't see pronunciation problems for non-Spanish speakers
    Jardín- Would not be pronounced properly by non-Spanish speakers, /JAR-din/, and not a particularly pretty sounding name pronounced /har-DEEN/.
    Río- Would most likely be mistaken for a boy by an English speaking person, but pronounceable.

Boys:
    Bosque- Cool. For English speakers I see a problem with pronouncing it /BOSS-k/
    Arbol- Not a fan, for me it sounds very strange name