Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by taz View Post
    I never even thought of having the family doctor explain these things to my kids when they're old enough. That's a really great idea! As for my experience...school had sex education. I think it began in 4th grade? My parents weren't prudish and I'm sure I came to my mom with any questions. And of course the general misinformation that went around among the neighborhood kids!
    Haha!

See? That's why I'm curious. I have met some people who actually never had sufficient sex education or weren't very informed until they were older, through experience, or attending an introductory college course on the subject.

And yes, you could ask your family doctor ;-) I'm sure she/he may give you oodles of pamplets and suggest books to help you or something - if you ask.

My eldest daughter is 4yrs old so we haven't really touched on sex ed yet. I don't feel the need to do so for at least another couple of years.
    We have of course, discussed the human anatomy. She calls her private parts her "girly bits" and I'm quite content for her to use those terms for the time being.
    She did ask where her baby sister (5 months old) came from. We told her that we called the hospital and ordered a baby. We told her it took a long time for the baby to come because lots of mummies and daddies want new babies, but that we had to be patient and wait our turn. She seemed content with that answer too. Because while she was aware that she was getting a new baby sister when I was pregnant, she didn't seem to notice my growing belly at all.
    As far as sex education goes I'll answer any questions she may have, truthfully, when she's a bit older. Maybe 10-11 years old? I haven't really thought it through yet.
    Sex education is awful in the schools in my area, I know I got none myself when I was in school. For that reason I'll probably give her the facts myself, something I'm not exactly looking forward to!
    Proud Mama to Two Perfect Little Ladies.
    Big Girl, 25.04.2007
    Small Girl, 06.09.2011

Wanting to be Pregnant & Hoping for a 2013 Blessing.

Alice Victoria Primrose | Annabella Sophie Faye
    Noah Gabriel Joseph | Zachary Roman James

Vote on my name list here.

Quote Originally Posted by lucykate219 View Post
    My eldest daughter is 4yrs old so we haven't really touched on sex ed yet. I don't feel the need to do so for at least another couple of years.
    We have of course, discussed the human anatomy. She calls her private parts her "girly bits" and I'm quite content for her to use those terms for the time being.
    She did ask where her baby sister (5 months old) came from. We told her that we called the hospital and ordered a baby. We told her it took a long time for the baby to come because lots of mummies and daddies want new babies, but that we had to be patient and wait our turn. She seemed content with that answer too. Because while she was aware that she was getting a new baby sister when I was pregnant, she didn't seem to notice my growing belly at all.
    As far as sex education goes I'll answer any questions she may have, truthfully, when she's a bit older. Maybe 10-11 years old? I haven't really thought it through yet.
    Sex education is awful in the schools in my area, I know I got none myself when I was in school. For that reason I'll probably give her the facts myself, something I'm not exactly looking forward to!
    Thanks lucykate, I appreciate your input for this subject.
    Also, "girly bits" definitely sounds appropriate for a 4 year old to handle. Haha, how cute.
    My family would tell those kinds of stories as I grew up (especially mean older cousins) and I would believe it. But then I discovered the world of books, inquired my parents about it every so often, etc.

Hahaha! Yes, this would be a milestone in the "memories with my child" scrapbook. Not to worry, though! I think going in with the facts and laying it out as best you can is all your daughters can ask for.
    Last edited by scribe; February 18th, 2012 at 08:28 AM.

please dont make them suffer through an awkward conversation with a doctor. kids learn things in school and they learn plenty. thats really all i got and i did just fine.
    Anastasia, Tessa, Marina, Stella
    Connor, Rhett, Corbin, Grayson

I hate this topic! Because it was so incredibly awkward for me growing up. I remember asking my mom when I was eight or nine where babies came from and her anwer was "A seed from daddy goes into mommies tummy and makes a baby." That was it. When I prodded for more information she ignored me. So I was left to my own devices to figure it out, and decided the 'seed' came from daddys tummy when they were kissing and went into the mommies mouth into her tummy. Seriously. Not kidding, even a little bit. I knew boys and girls were different and what everybody looked like naked, but it didn't occur to me to put those parts together... Anyway, when I was in fourth grade (so 10, maybe?) I learned more about sex. I still didn't get the whole picture though until I was around 12. I really wish I had had somone more willing to discuss the topic with me without being so mysterious and shameful about it. I thought it was a horrible, degrading thing to acknowledge sex at all. My mother is Southern, and true southern women don't discuss sex, and when they do they talk about how horrible it is, what an abomination. So that was all I had until high school (14). That was when I really understood the mechanics of it. It took me years a couple years after that to understand it was good and okay for people to have sex, just not to have promiscuous sex.
    Proud mommy to Nicolas Alexander (5) and Ethan Scott (3) Hannah Jane (8 months)

Threw out the old list. Looking for a new one!