Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Its VERY common for people in the city I live in Texas to pierce a babies ears, we are talking little tiny babies. I always thought it was a hispanic cultural thing but maybe lots of people do it? I think its sort of mean

edited to say: I have no problem with ears being pierced on girls who are 5 and up, when I was around that age I begged to have them pierced and was allowed to, however I was not allowed to wear earrings that were bigger than a speck of dust and I wouldnt let my future daughters wear anything bigger than that until they were at least 11 or 12.
    Last edited by thetxbelle; February 15th, 2012 at 10:51 PM.
    Josephine Athénaïs - Josephine Ivy - Myriam Athénaïs - Vivienne Josephine
    Athena Beatrice - Beatrice Cecile - Eleanor Anne-Sophie -Myriam Beatrice - Meredith Elizabeth
    Ambrose Aristide - Ulysses Aristide

Girls: Bérangère, Bérénice, Honorine, Mazarine Boys: Augustin, Emeric, Hugo, Lambert, Lucien, Maxence, Yves

Mascara? seriously how did they even apply it without the little munchkin moving, let alone keep it on with all the tears and face rubbing they do? Don't even get me started on WHY they would want to do it!
    As for actively seeking to let her use a sunbed- they must be very ignorant about the risks for skin cancer.
    Sounds mad to me.
    BABY GIRL FINALLY DUE 5 October after 2 Years of IVF
    Delivery booked: Debuting on or before 26th September!

Current favourite name for our little Miss: Phoebe Eliza Grace
    Other (MNs probably) we like: Rose Eloise Matilda Madeleine Charlotte Eliza Violet Kate Jade Elizabeth Iris Scarlett Felicity Chloe

Current (but never to be used...) favourite boy names: Oliver Thomas Henry William Alexander Flynn Liam Hugo Isaac Bennett Nikolai Reid Edward nn Ned Gus Tobias Austin Blake

Quote Originally Posted by taz View Post
    also there is nothing sexual about designer clothes, jewelry, mani/pedis. and nothing that children do or wear creates a pedophile...they are sick people in their own right. sadly, we could dress our children in burlap sacks and these sickos will still exist. your statement is similar to when people say rape victims ask for it if they dress sexy- parents aren't asking for their kids to become victims if they dress them in designer clothes/jewelry!
    I am glad that somebody else was thinking the same thing! Although I am not into the whole baby/toddler makeup etc thing but that IS NOT the reason pedophiles exist. Nobody ever deserves/is asking for it no matter how they are dressed. Pedophiles are twisted disgusting people, they can prey on even the most plainly dressed child.

But yes I feel bad for that gypsy baby, little girls should feel beautiful in their own skin and I dont see how that will happen for her if her parents are already covering her in make up. Also the lack of education is saddening especially as they are fortunate to live in a country where girls have equal rights to education but I also understand (mostly from tv programs!) that the gypsy culture is very old and cherished so I dont see it changing anytime soon

Having been the victim of paedophile myself, I can assure you that it had absolutely nothing to do with what I wore but with my availability -- that is, I was around this person unsupervised, as were a group of us. Even for the times, I was unsupervised, because of my family situation.

Having said that, I am completely opposed to the obvious sexualization of little girls. What are you teaching your daughters? That they exist for the bodies only. As a high school teacher, I deal with the results of that culture -- twelve year olds having children, a high female suicide rate, and a high prevalence of body dysmorphia illnesses and depression.

It is depressing to me, as someone in her fifties, to see that all the hard work we did in the 60's and 70's and 80's to make things better for our daughters has come to naught. Women and girls are still objectified, still discriminated against, and their mothers still actively promote social values that demean them.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by taz View Post
    also there is nothing sexual about designer clothes, jewelry, mani/pedis. and nothing that children do or wear creates a pedophile...they are sick people in their own right. sadly, we could dress our children in burlap sacks and these sickos will still exist. your statement is similar to when people say rape victims ask for it if they dress sexy- parents aren't asking for their kids to become victims if they dress them in designer clothes/jewelry!
    Thank you. I'm not the the only one who sees that dressing children in designer clothes and jewelry does not cause pedophilia.

And to answer your question...

Sexualizing a child is in no way right.

Ear piercing is not that outlandish for a baby. My mother had my ears pierced when I was a baby and occasionally she'd put emerald, heart-shaped studs on me (Emerald is my birthstone). She's also a nurse and wouldn't have it done if she didn't consult with our family doctor first. So I don't find it so strange that the baby's ears were pierced but I would worry about how big the hoop earrings are.

I can understand if it's a cultural thing for gypsies. And if it's so deep-rooted in their culture, I'm sure they've figured out a way to handle piercing a child's ears and handling any infections, etc.

Not so sure about the manicures and pedicures being necessary for a kid but I remember growing up painting my nails for fun.
    It was just something to do.

Make-up on a baby? That sounds like something you wouldn't do because their skin may still be very sensitive to the crap that's in make-up. The only times I was ever allowed to put make-up on was for Halloween, dressing up for a wedding, religious ceremonies, or performing in a play. All the other times, my mother frowned on it. She always told me that I didn't need make up because I was still young and nothing was wrong with my skin. I was told make-up would ruin it.

Occasionally, I would play with make-up... but not so much because I was afraid of what my mom told me. And I didn't like the way it felt on my face all the time.

And just like taz, the stopping education after primary school to learn how to cook and clean thing? If my children were going to learn at home (home-schooling), it wouldn't include only house chores. That's not how I was raised.
    Last edited by scribe; February 17th, 2012 at 12:29 PM.