Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Help! I had my perfect girl name but now I can't use it! :(

I made the mistake of telling it to a friend (who just happens to have the same last name as me!) before either of us was pregnant. 9 months later (no, I am not kidding) she had a daughter and gave her the very name that I had told her I wanted to name a daughter. Now, I realize that you can't call dibs on a name - especially when you're not even pregnant yet. I'd never say anything to our friend but it still stung, because now the name that I had chosen and had pretty much set in stone in my mind is off limits to me. We have too many mutual friends AND the same last name, so no, I cannot just use the name anyway. People have told me to, but I just don't feel comfortable doing it.

So here I am in this dilemma, because now I am pregnant and my favorite girl name was claimed by someone else. The name is Elle. Not trendy Ella, or Eleanore shortened to Ellie. Just plain and simple (and not even in the top 400) Elle. I love it and I am absolutely heartbroken that I can't use it now - especially after reading the description of Elle on here, basically calling it a perfect name. Please help me come up with another name that I will love just as much. The other girl name that I like is Lila, but I'm worried that it is becoming too popular. I don't know anyone with that name yet, though, so I am considering it, but I need other ideas - HELP! I like girl names that are short, sweet, classic, pretty and ultra-feminine.

i had a name stolen too- i feel your pain!! good luck. when i had my daughter i realized that the name i originally wanted to use wasn't very 'her' anyway! the name we did pick (that throughout my pregnancy i didn't feel 100% sure of and didn't think i would ever love as much as the stolen name) is so perfect for my beautiful daughter- so now it's my favorite name in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by taz View Post
    i had a name stolen too- i feel your pain!! good luck. when i had my daughter i realized that the name i originally wanted to use wasn't very 'her' anyway! the name we did pick (that throughout my pregnancy i didn't feel 100% sure of and didn't think i would ever love as much as the stolen name) is so perfect for my beautiful daughter- so now it's my favorite name in the world.
    Maybe this will happen to me and she will look more like Lila (or another name if I can find one) than Elle. I hope so, because I am having a really hard time letting go of Elle.