Names Searched Right Now:

Can a one syllable- two syllable- one syllable name work?

I have a one syllable last name. It's short and only four letters long. Trouble is the articles mention a two syllable or three syllable first would have the most pleasing sound. I am worried about giving my children such a long handle that will problably become a nickname. Any advice?

First, while the articles suggest longer names with a one-syllable LN, there's no rule that you can't have a one-syllable FN for it. There are lots of famous, memorable names (even if if they're nicknames, stage names, etc.) like that: John Wayne, Brad Pitt, Paul Rudd, Claire Danes, Seth Green, Tom Jones, Cole Haan, Jane Eyre, Jack Frost (haha), Anne Frank off the top of my head.

There are also lots of longer names that don't frequently get nicknames (or have some, but no one would think it odd if you never used them). Some might be Felix, Lila, Elinor, Caroline, Wyatt, Colin, Nora, Austin, Morgan, Willow, Georgia, Kennedy, Scarlett, Hazel, Hudson, Bailey, Garrett..... There are loads more. If you (or your child) doesn't like a nickname, it's not an inevitability that people will use it. My sister has always been Catherine, never Cate or Cathy, etc. I went to school with two Veronicas who were never called anything but their full names. I probably wouldn't call someone by a nickname if she introduced herself as "Margaret" or something long.

I don't think you should worry about the syllables too much, but enjoy the process of puzzle-piecing together names you like that sound good with your last name. Jack might not be right, but maybe Shane sounds fine, or Patrick, or Elizabeth.... Have fun!
    Last edited by ellenelle; February 5th, 2012 at 10:51 AM.

Thanks this re-confirms my feelings. And thank you for being so prompt. I have been scouring name berry for awhile and I just join a moment ago I know this was a wise thing to do now.