Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: folate?

folate?

I am still a two-yearsish away from kids if all goes according to plan, but starting to think about folate so when it gets way more important it is automatic. Does anyone have any favorite folate-rich recipes or ideas? I'm not opposed to a supplement, but really would prefer to be getting into my diet if I can. I'm trying to sprinkle wheat germ into my diet daily now, and up my dark greens, but I want to be sure it's enough and also just find something I love that it's easy to eat really consistently.

I've been on a folate-rich diet for a while, a year or so ago. I ate much lentil soup, eggs and liver. I wasn't a fan of those so it was quite tough for me.
    Girls: Neva, Hope, Katherine, Harlow, Vivienne, Florence, Grace, Nalha, Primrose, Arabella, Isla.

Boys: Nicholas, Luke, Stephen, Leon, John, William, Henry, Victor, Fredrich, Rainer, Simon, Felix.

Thanks for the thoughts! I'm sorry it's been tough! I love eggs and lentils and didn't know those were sources, so that's good to know. Liver...oh man, I think I might just have to take a pass on that one.

Actually it is recommended to avoid liver when pregnant/TTC, as it has high levels of vitamin A which can be harmful, particularly in first trimester.

All the dietary requirements can be such a minefield that I would recommend either research it very thoroughly, with advice from a professional, to make sure you don't end up eating extra serves of something you should actually be avoiding....or take a multivitamin specifically for pregnancy/breastfeeding and combine that with a regular, healthy, balanced diet.

And when it comes to the happy moment, make sure you are up on all the other things you need to avoid when preggers; mainly foods that are more at risk of carrying Listeria, Salmonella or Toxoplasmosis and there's loads of them!

Good luck!
    Last edited by lrmum; February 7th, 2012 at 06:03 AM.
    Fave names: Astrid, Anise, Annika, Cleo, Gabrielle, Holly, Marnie, Mardi, Miranda, Miriam, Poppy, Sydney

I'm from Australia, so when I'm referring to popularity I'm using Aussie lists.