Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Florence. Beautiful. I saw a movie where a gorgeous girl was named "flor" and it is a lovely name + nn!

I did dislike my name growing up.. I didn't loathe it or anything I just always felt like it wasn't fitting for me. It is also fairly common (and I looked at the social security info and it was like top 10 when I was born). So what I'm hoping to do differently is to avoid this for my daughter. I want her to feel like she is something that is HERS, not shared with 5 other girls in her class.

Btw I love both of your kiddos names too!

Ohhh. I had an extremely uncommon name growing up. Malik.ah.

I hated it. I still don't really LIKE it.

I never could find anything personalized, it was never in any baby name books, no one could say it right at first. I got called Mikayla, Monica. The name is pronounced Mal-Leh-Kah, it's Arabic for queen, but everyone said it Mah-Lee-Kah. SO ANNOYING. I was called Malachi for my entire grade 8 year by a teacher. I even had a substitue art teacher correct me on my name, telling me how i said it was wrong. Excuse me? No, it's Arabic and said correctly and verifyed by the slew of Arab speaking people I knew personally thank you very much. I don't care if your cousin's name was said mah-lee-kah.
    /rant

People now think it's very pretty, and I get compliments on it every now and again, but I straight up hated it as a child and up until my 18th year. I'm still going to change it legally in a year or so.

Trust me, don't tack on a very uncommon name just because you don't want the kid to hate having a common name. It'll often back fire. Many other kids I know feel the same way about their very uncommon names.

Moderation is key imo, Avalin is a perfect middle point, Joaquin is dangling close to the overly uncommon side, but due to the actor Joaquin Phoenix, he should have little to no problem with it. Florence is commonly known, but it is old ladyish imo. No ageism intended!
    And she will definitely get called Flo, which could wreak havoc on her preteen years. Personally, I'd avoid it. It doesn't really fit the feel you've got going with Avalin and Joaquin.

(Sorry the reply is so long o.O)
    Laurel - 21 - Toronto

btw if you use Florence, you can try avoiding the nn Flo by calling her Flora for short every now and again. That should help ward off the Flo nn.
    Laurel - 21 - Toronto

I'm a Jennifer (Jenni) so.. I was mixed about my name. There's nothing terrible about it. It's a perfectly fine name. However, it was WAY too popular. I got sick of being one out of however many others there were. My cousin married someone with the same name, making things a little confusing (different last names though).

I don't have kids yet, but I want to name them something more uncommon. I know chances are they will meet someone else with their name, but I want to avoid her being Sarah F. or whatever. So I'm steering toward names that aren't popular, but also aren't too weird and crazy. No odd spellings or made up names. That's why I like one of my top names - Serena. It's a legit name and people know it, but it's uncommon.

Honestly, I think a child called Florence will not be fond of her name growing up. It's not just because it's unusual, though that may play a part, but because it does still seem very old fashioned and not one you could see on anyone young. Perhaps a mn spot would be better and she can appreciate its heritage without having to actually go by it? Up to you, of course.

My name is Lyndsey Rose, and I strongly did and still do dislike Lyndsey growing up. It seemed too common and not me- I'm not at all a bouncy cheerleader type- and no one ever spelled it right or could remember its spelling. I had it spelled Lindsey, Lindsay, Lindsy, Lyndsay, and even Linzy at times. Which is why I now go by Rose- there are five other Lindseys etc in my small graduate class department. So though unusual names can backfire, so can common/uncommonly spelled ones.
    Anya Angelina, Alessandra Mary, Delilah Claire, Adella India, Lydia Emanuella, Susannah Lenore, Caroline Michaela, Rikarah Jade, Liadah Cristina, Leah Cassandra, Alicia Cordelia, Eliza Francesca, Jade Antonia, Jessamine Faith, Audrina Rosemary, Shana Ariadne, Dana Rachel
    Nathaniel Malachi, Wesley Joseph, Gavin Daniel, Daniel Alexander, Lewis Malcolm, Jared Levi, Jesse Gabriel, Connor Michael, Callum Wade, Keegan Jude, Quentin Dominick, Micah Lucian, Miguel Antonio, Adam Gabriel