Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Your sibling's naming style versus your own..

Hey,

Thought it'd be interesting to see if siblings 'inherit' a similar naming style or not, by listing your own kids' names and then your siblings' choices!

One of my siblings has a similar enough naming style to me, and one an entirely different one!

My kids: Harriet, Beatrix, Cordelia, Lionel

My sister's: Romy, Nathan, Phoebe

My brother's: Millie, Alfie, Jessica
    mum to the lovely Harriet Katia (10) Beatrix Liv (6) and Cordelia Joyce (4) and Lionel Rafferty (1 whole year already)

Wow, your brother's style is so different! I even think your sister's style is pretty different from yours, with the exception of maybe Phoebe.

None of my siblings have children, and neither do I, but since I'm such a name addict, my family talks about names quite frequently.

My favorites right now: Isabelle, Arianne, Olivia, Charlotte, Violet, Liliana, Rachel, Daphne, Eleni, Hannah, and Willa for girls. Caleb, Jack, Henry, Noah, Bailey, Avery, Lincoln, Bennett, Beckett, Everett, Grayson, Spencer, Schuyler, Zane, Boone, Josiah, etc., for boys. I know. I have a huge list, lol.

My brother's list (21 yrs): He doesn't really have one. He's a John Robert, III, and has said he may or may not want to continue the John Robert thing. He has admitted he likes Lulu as a nn, but other than that, really nothing serious. He jokes that he'll have a Shaniqua some day. I think it's mostly for spite, haha.

My sister's list (19 yrs): I don't know a ton of her names. She's told me her list in the past, but not really that much currently. As far as I know, she likes Genevieve (nn Gigi), Andromeda (nn Anna), and Giselle (nn Gigi) for a girl. For boys, years ago she mentioned liking Isaac and William, but I don't know what she likes anymore.

My baby sister's list (16 yrs): She used to like Jane and Julia for a girl, and I know she still LOVES Ezra for a boy. Like manically, haha. I think she likes Hailey for a girl right now. She tosses around Alexis, Aubrey, Nadege (one of her friends), Bailey, Jenna, Natalie, etc. for girls (she obviously wouldn't use Natalie, haha--it's her name), and stuff like Benjamin, Brady, Kai, Nicholas, and Johnny (lol, my brother's name) for a boy. I try to nurture her tastes because any sixteen-year-old who loves Ezra and Jane is bound to have stunningly named kids when she actually does get pregnant in the future! So long as she can leave the trendy Hailey/Alexis/Bailey behind!

Oh, and my two sisters and I all LOVE Olivia. Becca (the 19 year old) says that we can all three have daughters named Olivia, and we can call mine Livy/Liv, we can call hers Luvy/Luv, and we can call Tallie's Laffy. I don't know where she got Laffy, but I don't think I could look at my niece without laughing if my sister seriously named her daughter Olivia nn Laffy, lol.
    Last edited by ashthedreamer; January 19th, 2012 at 02:11 PM.

I've always been really interested in this topic! When I was researching names last year for an ethnography I wrote, I really wanted to look in to how siblings name their own kids, but ran out of time (and page allowance).
    My brothers and I don't have kids yet, so I can't compare, but my cousins have young kids and the differences in style are pretty pronounced.
    My one cousin has: Emily & Megan
    and her brother has: Anastasia & Heidi
    (all of those 4 girls are under the age of 3)

then another cousin has: Kelvin
    and her sister has: Abigail
    Lucia
    Ariadne, Eleanora, Minerva, Orchid, Sela
    Caius, Everett, Luther, Marius, Mordecai

Quote Originally Posted by ashthedreamer View Post
    My brother's list (21 yrs): He doesn't really have one. He's a John Robert, III, and has said he may or may not want to continue the John Robert thing. He has admitted he likes Lulu as a nn, but other than that, really nothing serious. He jokes that he'll have a Shaniqua some day. I think it's mostly for spite, haha.
    My SO said something once about liking the name Shaniqua (or it was something like Shaniqua... Latonya, Tameeka, I can't remember now), lol. Maybe it's a guy thing? To just say you like something a little out-there to see what kind of reactions you can get.
    Lucia
    Ariadne, Eleanora, Minerva, Orchid, Sela
    Caius, Everett, Luther, Marius, Mordecai

Quote Originally Posted by lucialucentum View Post
    My SO said something once about liking the name Shaniqua (or it was something like Shaniqua... Latonya, Tameeka, I can't remember now), lol. Maybe it's a guy thing? To just say you like something a little out-there to see what kind of reactions you can get.
    lol, well, I don't know if it's a guy thing, but it's definitely a thing my brother would do! He jokes about everything... he had a point where he pretended like he was ghetto, haha, and it was definitely the "I'm so sarcastic you can see it dripping from my eyeballs" face. haha. And it wasn't just Shaniqua... he was like, "I know! Forget Shaniqua, I'm gonna name my daughter Shaniquandrafarrahnatawinique-Tai-kwan-do." bahaha. Even though he's in the Air Force, he's super silly and I'm sure he just did it to make us all laugh. I asked him if he wanted to keep Jack so he could still honor himself/our dad and grandpa, and he said he hated Jack... and then he was like, "No, I'll name my son Jack Bauer Richards!" ha! That's my brother, haha.