Names Searched Right Now:

View Poll Results: Edward For a girls name?

Voters
199. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love IT!

1 0.50%
  • Nuetral

7 3.52%
  • Hate It!

191 95.98%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Nooooooooooo!

While you are right that Ashley, Riley, Spencer, Jordan (Taylor, Emerson, Lindsay, Kelly and many others, too) were once boy names, that is NO excuse. When boy names cross over there is a REALLY high risk that they will never return to the boy side. It is sad and says a lot about society that girls can have boy names, but a boy can NEVER have a girl name, but it is a real phenomena. My main concern is the fact that girl's already have a much wider variety and selection of names than boys do to begin with. I couldn't stand by and watch girls start to take the few strong, classic, masculine names (Edward, James, Charlie) without saying anything. Sorry if I am coming across harsh. I understand the appeal of a little girl with a boyish name. I think it would be cute and fashionable. But tiger fur is also fashionable and desirable, but it is illegal to kill them because they are endangered species and there are not many left in the world. They are protected because we want them to stay around. In short, please don't kill the endangered species that is the classic, masculine name.

Sierra Ann
    No babies yet, just novel babies!
    Charlie, August, Jonas, Lincoln, Beckett, Whittaker
    Aurelie, Carolina, Lorelei, Selah, Annelie, Coralie
    http://distinctivelyknown.tumblr.com

That is awful. Sorry :/ there is absolutely nothing that could be even remotely feminine or cute about that name on a girl.. I understand wanting to be different but, that just seems silly to me
    ♥ Maria

~ Lydia Juliette ~ Emmeline Sophia ~ Elodie Violet ~ Georgia Ivy ~ Isla Winter ~ Felicity Joy ~ Ivy Primrose ~ Etta Caroline ~ Tallulah Kate ~ Penelope Iris ~

~ Eli Cruz ~ Jasper Quinn ~ Dexter Cruz ~ Remy Alistair ~ Leo Cruz ~ Alister Quinn ~ Quentin Alistair ~ Roman Cruz ~ Nico Alistair ~ Nathaniel Quinn ~

Also, yes, please explain why you like Edward for a girl! Is it the nn Eddie? What about Edith, nn Edie instead? Edele, Eden, Edwina or Edaline?

Sierra Ann
    No babies yet, just novel babies!
    Charlie, August, Jonas, Lincoln, Beckett, Whittaker
    Aurelie, Carolina, Lorelei, Selah, Annelie, Coralie
    http://distinctivelyknown.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by arreisenlaluz9 View Post
    Nooooooooooo!

While you are right that Ashley, Riley, Spencer, Jordan (Taylor, Emerson, Lindsay, Kelly and many others, too) were once boy names, that is NO excuse. When boy names cross over there is a REALLY high risk that they will never return to the boy side. It is sad and says a lot about society that girls can have boy names, but a boy can NEVER have a girl name, but it is a real phenomena. My main concern is the fact that girl's already have a much wider variety and selection of names than boys do to begin with. I couldn't stand by and watch girls start to take the few strong, classic, masculine names (Edward, James, Charlie) without saying anything. Sorry if I am coming across harsh. I understand the appeal of a little girl with a boyish name. I think it would be cute and fashionable. But tiger fur is also fashionable and desirable, but it is illegal to kill them because they are endangered species and there are not many left in the world. They are protected because we want them to stay around. In short, please don't kill the endangered species that is the classic, masculine name.
    Thank you!

I think it's so wrong how girls are "stealing" boys names.
    Madison and Addison for example, the meanings are even male! "Son of Maude" "Son of Adam" yet Girls now claim them. A boy named Madison would be made fun of endlessly.

Now girls are taking more classic, masculine names like James, Jack, and Edward? I do not agree. I think it's wrong, not only to the boys, but to the girls. That's sending the message that you wanted her to be a boy. It may not be the case, but I guarantee you that's what she'll think.

It'll cause her loads of grief when people assume she's a boy as well.
    Laurel - 21 - Toronto

I cannot stress enough how much I hate the idea of a girl named Edward. If you really love the name and it has special meaning to you, consider Edwina.