Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help renaming characters from a quirky private detective series?

Hey guys,
    So I'm writing a detective series. I picked some names for my characters, but they're just not working out and I'm having trouble coming up with any others.
    It's a fairly modern series, set in New York City 2012, but I would like to try to keep a feeling of detective noir with some names.
    My main character is 23 and was born on the east coast of Ireland. She is bisexual and in the closet to her family. She moved to America a year prior to the beginning of the story. Her mother is snobby and posh, so I don't think she would choose a mundane name for her daughter. The MC takes after her father, as both are clumsy, eccentric and just the tiniest bit dim at times. Her father is a big fan of swing music and big band (The Rat Pack, Nat King Cole, as well as the more modern acts of Michael Buble and The Overtones, for example), so maybe a reference to a song?
    The MC also has an older sister who is exactly like her mother, and a younger brother who is quiet and doesn't like to get involved in arguements.
    The MC's best friend is an NYC native whose parents are divorced. Her older sister lives in Arizona. She is fashionable, beautiful, and just slighty OCD. She works in a publishing agency. She acts as a sort of sidekick to my Mc with her ex-boyfriend from high school. Her ex was born in Chicago and moved to New York at 15 when his father got a promotion. Two years afterwards they were moved again to Philadelphia. He first comes into the story when he's moving back to New York to work as a cameraman on an NYC TV soap.
    And last but not least, my MC's boyfriend. He works on the sound crew of the same soap as the ex, and the two are set up on a blind date. He is also wheelchair-bound following an accident on a school trip when he was sixteen. He shares an apartment with his older brother in New York, and his parents live in Virginia, where he was born. When I think of him, I always seem to conjure up an image of Charlie Day in the movie Horrible Bosses or Chris O'Dowd from The IT Crowd. Tousled brown hair, a little bit scruffy and odd.
    Thanks so much guys, any suggestions for any of these characters or their famlies are greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by nikitaj360 View Post
    Her mother is snobby and posh, so I don't think she would choose a mundane name for her daughter.
    Heh, so this name has nothing to do with 99% of your MC's description, but when I read the bit about the mum, this name popped into my head: Elisabeth. It's mainstream as Elizabeth but not really as Elisabeth/Alisabeth; it's also not Irish. I guess the non-mundane part would come into play with the nickname - Lissy/Liss.

Sorry :P Hope it helps you along the way though!

Thanks for that, heimarmene! You also got me thinking with the variations for Elizabeth (Lissy/Liss). A friend of mine suggested a name like Alice or Alyssa, so I may go for something along those lines. I also really like names like Monica or Melinda, so maybe I'll give one of those to my MC's best friend. As for the ex and the boyfriend...Still no clue! I always find guys names harder than girls'. Maybe since they work in TV, I could take a TV reference? I'm not sure.

The investigator hired must not be some with bad dressing and who has no relation with the world of reality. After doing sufficient inquiry with the detective one can decide whether to choose or not. If the PI gives satisfactory answers to all questions then to hire him is secure and safe.

Skip trace investigation Houston,tx

Wow. Ummm...

Would Isabelle work? I'm kind of strained for names right now, sorry... brain dead!

Could one of the guys be named Caleb? Seems to fit either.
    “I read books when I was a kid, lots of books. Books always seemed like magic to me. They took you to the most amazing places. When I got older, I realized I couldn't find books that took me to all the places I wanted to go. To go to those places, I had to write some books myself.”
    ― Pat Murphy, The Wild Girls

"Like everyone else, I am going to die. But the words – the words live on..."
    ― J. Michael Straczynski