Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Can people pronounce Ewan?

My husband and I agree on very few names. This week is Ewan.

Do you think the average joe will pronounce it correctly?

Lately I have very low expectations of peoples intelligence... I'd feel terrible if my son spent his life as Ee- wahn.
    I type on an iPhone and take no responsibility for typos, auto-correction, or strange grammar in my posts.

I don't think pronunciation would be that big of an issue. It makes me think of Ewan McGregor and I am sure a lot of people would think of him as well and know how to pronounce the name

♥ Clara Dean Lucy Dominic ♡

Feel free to ask me anything about saints names

I have a friend who just named his son this- I think it's a great name, and I don't have any trouble with the pronunciation (but, I am smarter than your average bear)

How is it pronounced? My first thought is YOU-wahn, but I've never been sure I've been pronouncing Ewan and Eoin right... I think it is handsome and charming.

I polled my family, and my dad and littlest sister thought it was EE-won first, and my dad thought maybe YOU-win, too. My mom said EH-wan or EE-wan, and my grandmother said AY-win. My grandma and my parents are from all over, but we currently live in eastern-central Pennsylvania. I thought more people would say it right, but I'm guessing the pronunciation would be butchered, thanks to their pronunciations.

Good luck!
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle + Arianne + Olivia + Violet + Charlotte + Emmeline + Eleni + Grace + Audrey + Eva + Catherine + Tess + Zoe
    Caleb + Everett + Jack + Avery + Samuel + Zane + Brody + Declan + Caspar + Grant + Rory + Thomas + Peter

Quote Originally Posted by ashthedreamer View Post
    Euan/Iwan/Ewan = YOU-an

Eoin = OH-in

I know everyone here is familiar with Ewan because of Ewan McGregor but I can't speak for the states I'm afraid.
    Last edited by renrose; April 25th, 2013 at 05:28 PM.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.