Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Names related to the world/earth

My maiden name can be derived from the word "world." I'm looking for usable names that can be affiliated with the world/earth.
    Names for both genders. Thanks!

FYI www.behindthename.com is great for searches like this.

Plenty of names come up, but a lot of them are very ethnic-specific so I'll let you comb for them as I'm not sure that's what you'd want. Some of the more mainstream or mainstreamable options that came up are:

Girls
    Donella: feminine form of Donald, ruler of the world in Scottish
    Gaia: Greek for Earth, related to Gaiana and Gaea
    Georgia: Greek for farmer, worker of the earth (think about geo-, like geography and geology)
    Ila: Sanskrit for earth or speech
    Mira: in lots of Slavic languages, meaning relates to both peace and world
    Miruna: Romanian relative of Mira
    Terra: Latin for land or earth
    Tierra: various Romance languages current form of Terra

Boys
    Adam: Hebrew for man that is a play on words for earth (since Adam was made from earth in one account)
    Emidio: An Italian name of unclear origins, but he was the patron saint against earthquakes
    George: Greek for farmer, worker of the earth
    Donald: Scottish for ruler of the world. Relative Domnall or Donal might be more stylish, if harder to hear and spell, now.
    Mirek: related to the names above

There are probably more if you think of more related terms. I'm thinking of something like Theresa, which probably refers to harvesting and so relates to earth if you're OK with that meaning of it. Or names relating to life seem potentially related, since Earth is special for life, or names related to seas since much of earth is seas. Good luck!

Thanks so much for your quick reply! Yes, I'm totally fine with it not having a literal meaning.

Gaia was my first thought.
    Geb is the Egyptian God of Earth, and the sound seems surprisingly wearable for a boy, especially as a nickname.
    If you don't mind me asking, why do you want it to mean "earth?" It could be useful to know how abstract you're willing to go with the concept. I thought of Cosima and Cosimo, but those are (unshockingly) related to the word "cosmos."

Quote Originally Posted by daisy451 View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, why do you want it to mean "earth?" It could be useful to know how abstract you're willing to go with the concept.
    Well, my maiden name isn't usable as a name, so I figured finding a name with a similar meaning would be the next best way to honor my side of the family.

It doesn't have to have a literal meaning of "world" or "earth"- just some kind of connection. My husband thinks any nature name would work, but I'd rather go somewhat more specific if I can.
    Last edited by deedee; January 15th, 2012 at 02:42 PM.