Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    @beanie: Love your account! I think I am there. Did it au naturel with #1, but with #2 due any day, I am much more open to an epidural this time around. The first time was beautiful and wonderful, but it was long and haaard, which I know is par for the course. I couldn't have done it w/o my DH and my doula. I also felt like it really increased the amount of post-partum depression I dealt with b/c I was SO depleted in SO many ways after all that. I am proud I did it naturally with my first, but I am not going to be hard on myself this time around if I decide to do pain meds. My mom also had my sis and I naturally w/ no meds, and she never ever pressured me to do it that way, but I still felt like, if she could do it, I could too. Well, I did, but after talking with her, it's obvious my laboring was much harder and longer than hers was (by her own account!). Also, I am a serious long distance runner, have done many, many races that have caused me all kinds of pain, including marathons and halfs, so I like to think my pain tolerance is decent. But labor was just a whole other thing for me!!! You shoud feel proud of whatever you decide to do. I always try to remember, the bottom line is, healthy mom, healthy baby; doesn't matter how you get to that end!

Congratulations! As a mom who has had two natural births, I'm naturally an advocate for a med free birth.
    However, med free isn't for everyone and as a previous poster said, no one will be waiting at the end to pin a medal on you.

I wanted to have a natural birth so I could leave the hospital as quickly as possible. I also have an irrational fear of ending up paralyzed (childhood accident) so I was trying to avoid an Epidural at all costs. Recovery from c-sections are long and painful (from what friends and research have told me) so I wanted to avoid one unless it was absolutely medically necessary.
    On the other hand, I've heard from friends who've tried both that they found their medicated births to be easier.

My advice to you would be to plan your labour with an open mind. At least try to go drug free, but if you find its not for you, get the epidural, and don't feel bad for it. I'd still recommend avoiding the c-section, though.

Best of luck no matter what decision you make, and remember, this decision does not reflect your parenting! x
    Proud Mama to Two Perfect Little Ladies.
    Big Girl, 25.04.2007
    Small Girl, 06.09.2011

Wanting to be Pregnant & Hoping for a 2013 Blessing.

Alice Victoria Primrose | Annabella Sophie Faye
    Noah Gabriel Joseph | Zachary Roman James

Vote on my name list here.

I plan to have a natural birth when I have children. I used to think, Oh, no. I can't do that. It will hurt too much. Then when I was sixteen I got my first bartholin cysts. I've since had three (the last was marsupialized and has not returned) and according to women I've spoken with who have both had the cysts and given birth, the cysts are worse.

If I can live through three cysts, having it drained and stitched with no pain killers on the second one, I feel like I can withstand anything.

Bring it, natural birth.
    No babies yet... I'm only 17.
    But I do have a cat, the darling Giovanni.

January Favorites:
    Decimus, Gareth, Abraham, Huckleberry
    Susannah, Lilly, Charlotte, Elle, Lola

I'd recommend you watch the new tv show "One Born Every Minute". That show convinced me that Epidurals are the way to go if I ever have a kid. None of those 'natural' births on there seem relaxing and peaceful, in fact, often times the mothers look really stupid holding out only to cave in later. One couple even refused any medical intervention and made the labor go on so long that they made it harder on themselves because the mother became so weak and tired she was getting to the point that she wouldn't have the strength to push.

Quote Originally Posted by penguin View Post
    I'd recommend you watch the new tv show "One Born Every Minute". That show convinced me that Epidurals are the way to go if I ever have a kid. None of those 'natural' births on there seem relaxing and peaceful, in fact, often times the mothers look really stupid holding out only to cave in later. One couple even refused any medical intervention and made the labor go on so long that they made it harder on themselves because the mother became so weak and tired she was getting to the point that she wouldn't have the strength to push.
    Its important to remember that epidurals can also cause unnecessary complications, including lack of feeling in the general vaginal area resulting in mom not being able to push or to get the sensation to push. Vaginal tearing is also a lot more common amongst medicated births.
    Our bodies have been capable of delivering babies for centuries, when things like epidurals and c-sections didn't exist. I totally understand that some women can't cope and that some need sections due to medical emergencies but it makes me sad that more women don't have faith in their bodies, and that more women don't go into labour with a more open mind.
    Try natural. If you can do it - great. If not, that's great too, but at least you know you've TRIED to do it without drugs and that it just wasn't possible.
    On the other hand, I love One Born Every Minute too. Can't wait for tomorrow nights episode
    Proud Mama to Two Perfect Little Ladies.
    Big Girl, 25.04.2007
    Small Girl, 06.09.2011

Wanting to be Pregnant & Hoping for a 2013 Blessing.

Alice Victoria Primrose | Annabella Sophie Faye
    Noah Gabriel Joseph | Zachary Roman James

Vote on my name list here.