Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    I had my first in a hospital without drugs. I had my 2nd and 3rd at home, so obviously no drugs there either. I am a big natural birth advocate. It is better for mom and baby. The pain is there for a reason. If you listen to your body, you will find positions that are less painful and those are most helpful in getting the baby to come down. If you have an epidural and can't feel anything while you are pushing, you are more apt to tear as you might be pushing too hard. It all comes down to having faith in your body and knowing that you can do it and that your body was made to do it. Also, with each intervention (drugs, pitocin, epidural etc.) that frequently leads to another intervention which can lead to a C-section. Nearly 1 in 3 births in the US is a C-section these days. Also, labor pain doesn't last forever. The minute you hold that baby in your arms, you forget all about it. Mama Birth is a great blog that has a lot more information. The best thing you can do is educate yourself about all the options and then make an informed decision. Good luck!

I had both my daughters naturally. I was too scared of the epidural. My labor was 10 hours of contractions with my first but 13 minutes pushing and less than an hour of contracions with my second-less than 2 minutes of pushing. If you can get through the contractions-the pushing doesn't seem as bad because you know your little one is on the way. I know I'm going natural with this next one as well-but at this rate I might just sneeze and he'll pop right out! haha. I guess it's really up to you. I don't think I'm any better than anyone who doesn't do it naturally and know that it's a lot to handle. I heard wonderful stories about giving birth with an epidural-but the fear of the needle hitting the wrong spot or pain afterwards (even though I'm sure this is rare) is what made me go natural.
    Momma to Daytona Joette (6), Revvie Adessie (3) and Zabryn Amare (2)

My doctor counseled me to plan to have a walking epidural because I was having twins. I don't deal well with pain at all and was thrilled to have her suggest pain meds. However, when we got to the hospital after my water broke the last thing I wanted to do was lie down. The whole time they were trying to do the preliminary tests I was literally begging them to let me stand up. To get the epidural I would have had to be prone for an hour and a half. NO THANK YOU! So I ended up going without it. I did have nitrous oxide though. I'm not sure how much pain killing it did, but it definitely gave me something to focus on during the contractions. (I ended up with temporary nerve damage in my hand from gripping the mask for so long though!) Both boys were born healthy after 9 hours of labor. Ultimately it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be despite my intense aversion to pain and given the opportunity to do it over again, I would make the same decisions (if possible- obviously if a c-section had been medically necessary we would have opted for it. Healthy babies were the primary focus!) Everyone has to make the choices that are best for their own body and family given their own unique situation. Going in with a plan but an open mind is the best thing you can do.
    Mama to twin boys Oliver Graham and Luke Axel

Every birth experience is so different that it is hard to say what's "best." I was in labor for 32 hours with over 2 hours of pushing, and I don't think I would have made it without the epidural. I have a friend who had a 4 hour med-free birth at home. I think you just need to learn all of your options and make the best decision while you are in the situation.

Next time around I would opt for the epidural again.

I had a four hour med-free birth at home (just like the friend above), but not by choice - my first came quicker than expected (we were on the phone to the midwives, who kept advising us to stay put and come in later!) So my poor husband had to deliver the little one.

But I think everyones birth experiences are very different. You never know what will happen, so just go with the flow, and trust your inner instincts. If you feel you need help, then by all means don't be afraid to get it. There is no right or wrong way to have a baby, just aim on keeping yourself and the little one healthy.