Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Natural birth or no?

My mother had both me and my sister without any medication, and she says although it's painful, the best way is natural.

I'm not so sure.

She has an extremely high pain tolerance, while I cry when I prick my finger.

Which did all you momberries do? Or are planning to do?
    What do you recommend?
    Our first bun in the oven should be done cooking in early May!
    Don't know the gender yet!

No kids yet, but I hope to have a natural birth (preferably a water birth) when the time comes. It's supposed to be very relaxing for both mom and baby.
    I've even heard of cases of moms giving birth to twins and even triplets without needing a C-section. Cases like that are probably rare, but not completely unheard of.
    Annie, mid-twenties, vegetarian, name lover. No kids yet, just two furbabies - Roxy & Layla.
    Top favorites for a girl: Beatrice Lily, Charlotte Amelia, Clara Louisa, Eliza Ruby, Josephine Alice, Katherine Annabel, Lillian Audrey, Margaret Helena, Matilda Iris, Philippa Violet
    Top favorites for a boy: Adrian Silas, Alexander Gray, Emmett Oliver, Jasper Milo, Julian Edward, Lucian Henry, Nathaniel August, Samuel Owen, Rowan Felix, Theodore August

Hi Applepies!
    Congratulations on your baby-on-the-way! I'm pregnant with my 2nd. When I was pregnant with my first, I wanted to do it naturally. I would say my tolerance for pain is "pretty good" but I'm certainly no superhero! While I wanted to labour and give birth drug free, I was open to anything, since I had no idea what to expect. I started out ok, but eventually, I asked if I could try the nitrous gas. You breathe it in during the contraction, and stop when the contraction is over. It has no lasting effect, and is out of your system as soon as you move the mask away and inhale fresh air. I did that for a little bit, but the pain was too much for me, and I didn't know how long I could manage on my own. I asked for an epidural, but when it was being administered, I felt the urge to push. I wasn't checked (to see how much I was dilated), prior to it being done, and looking back, I think they should have. Anyway, I pushed immediately after I got the epidural, and gave birth to a baby girl. Right after our daughter was born, the nurse was helping me to the shower, and I was just getting off the table, and going to walk, and she says, "wait, wait! Can you feel your feet?" ...Um, yeah, I could feel everything. I had no trouble walking, except for my legs being a bit shaky. ...The epidural didn't have a chance to kick in, I guess, so maybe I really could have done without. This time around, I'm going to try for drug free again, but will certainly consider an epidural if I can't cope.

My advice to you? Be accepting of how you're feeling during labour. An epidural takes nothing away from the fact that you will have laboured and delivered a child. If you aren't handling the pain well, and think you need some help, then go for it!! It's nothing to be ashamed of, and I hope you won't feel pressure to avoid an epidural or other drugs just because your mom did it. I think it's more important to do whatever you need to do to get through it!!

Good luck

I'm not a mother yet, but I will try natural birth. My mom had c-section for three times and she regrets it. If you are planning to have many kids, I think it is better to have a natural birth! I heard having c-section many times can be dangerous because of adhesion.

I agree with labmama.

I'm planning on having a natural birth preferable in some sort of sitting position. My mother gave birth naturally all three times and once sitting up and encourages me to do it this way. I'm also looking in to water birth. A woman's body was designed to be able to handle childbirth, so I'm fairly confident a natural birth will be fine. I'm sure anyone can do it since, again, your made to withstand it.

That being said, I would also encourage you to listen to your body. Just because your body was designed to handle it, doesn't mean you can. Your body can, but plenty of people don't have the best pain tolerance, so even though their bodies are doing it's thing, they feel like it's a little much. I don't look down on anyone for feeling like they need a little relief! So listen to your body and know if you reach your limit.

I would suggest you research various methods of birth and positions, because different positions or methods (like water birth) can ease the pain and make it more comfortable.

Here's an article from what to expect that I find REALLY informative and helpful.
    There whole thing has information about delivering in a hospital vs birthing center vs home, water births, and labor positions:

http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnanc...-hospital.aspx

Here's the page with the labor positions:

http://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnanc...positions.aspx
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

Kith nor Kin -- http://kithnorkin.blogspot.com/ Chapter 30 and Epilogue is up. It's done!
    Angel's Art -- https://www.facebook.com/danteasart
    http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014