Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Find out gender or leave it a surprise?

What do you guys think?
    I'm pregnant with my first baby, and I'm not sure whether or not I want to know the gender. I think it's more fun as a surprise. My hubby wants to know, though. What do you think?

I would love for it to be a surprise, but alas, I think it is more sensible to find out because you can prepare for the baby better that way: you can decorate the baby's room, buy gender appropriate clothing, buy baby's toys, and really focus on picking the right name rather than picking one for each gender!
    Names I love at the moment:
    Alfred ♥ Arthur ♥ Bruce ♥ Edward ♥ Rupert
    Alice ♥ Eva ♥ Jane ♥ Josephine ♥ Livia ♥ Mary

Me personally, I would want to know. I just think it would be so much more fun to decorate a nursery, pick out clothes, etc. if you know the gender. Not to mention naming. I had a friend who was pregnant and while she and her husband agreed on a boys name early on, they couldn't figure out anything for a girl and it was stressing them out. When they went to the doctor though, they found out they were having a boy and *poof* all that stress over choosing a girls name was gone.

The only time I think I would be fine with leaving the gender as a surprise is if I was having my third child and my previous kids were a boy and a girl (meaning that I already got to decorate a gender specific room for each, so I'd be fine with doing a third nursery in a gender neutral theme).

I found out with all 3 of mine. Back with my first, I had to wait til 20 weeks to find out. With my 2nd and 3rd, I found out at 16 weeks. I count the days until I can know. 9 months of waiting would be torture for me. I love being prepared and being able to buy clothes and only have to come up with a name for one gender. It can be a surprise while you are a pregnant or a surprise on delivery day. I like my surprises early.

I'm going to be contrary and say WAIT! I found out the gender of my first baby girl as she made her appearance in the world. I'm now pregnant with my second and will be waiting again. My husband really wanted to know the first time around but I will admit to pulling the "I'm the one with the stretch marks and giant swollen ankles" card! He did say after that he was glad we waited. It was all the more special because we didn't know - my hub has actually been adamantly stating that he doesn't want to know everytime I mention gender this time round: bless him. To be honest we were fine with gender neutral colours anyway so that wasn't an issue for us. It is completely up to you but I would say that I wouldn't just let him find out while you don't - either both find out together or both wait so the moment can be special whatever you decide.