Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do you pronounce Chana?

How do you pronounce Chana? I read it in a book and I can't figure out how to say it. Is it chann-ah, kanne-ah, or is it just pronounced like Hannah? Or is it different? I've asked a few different people and I can't figure it out. Same with Dvora. Is it dev-rah, dev-ora, or something else? I've been kind of skipping the D a bit and putting kind of half a vowel in between when I'm reading it in my head, but I'd really like to know.

Thank you!
    ~Nora

♥♥♥ Elizabeth ~ Alice ~ Anneliese ~ Violet ~ Eve ~ Mireille ~ Amelie ~ Catherine ~ Emmeline ~ River ~ Sophia ~ Rose ~ Eliska ~ Sybil ♥♥♥

♥♥♥ James ~ Lysander ~ Rory ~ Hugo ~ Gavin ~ Niles ~ Salem ~ Bennett ~ Callum ~ Noah ~ Jude ~ Patrick ~ Luke ~ Owen ♥♥♥

id pronounce it shane-uh

I would pronounce it Ch-anna but the site I looked it up on said it was Cah-nuh. I actually like that though ^_^

http://www.pronouncenames.com/pronounce/chana
    Mother, Hellenic Pagan Priestess, and Resident Greek name expert ^_^ Call me Dantea or Remy

http://covertocoverediting.webs.com/ -- Editing services available for cheap.

Proud Mama to:
    Persephone Elysia Willow -- June 5th 2013
    TTC #2 by Christmas 2014

I read it like shawna personally...
    Favorite Names: Caroline Michal ~ Caroline~Loren~ Toran ~ Brennan Shannon James ~ Liam Alexander/Nathaniel ~ Jade
    DD#1, Saoirse Flynn, 08/30/13

That's right. The "ch" in Chana, Chava, Chaya, Chaim -- is the glottal stop in the back of the throat. It's too hard for many speakers of Western languages, which is why it devolved in the "h" sound in Hannah, Eva, Hyman, etc. D'vohra is the Hebrew form of Deborah, although the "v" sound is closer to the Yiddish "f" sound. Shayna is a completely different letter in Hebrew -- sh -- from ch -- which is why it's a different sound. It's the same with my daughter's Hebrew name Leah -- in Hebrew it's lay-ah, not lee-ah.