Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Rufina: A Serafina alternative?

I ran across the name Rufina when I was browsing the newspaper of my hometown in the birth announcements section. Her name was Rufina Zinnia (two syllable last name). My name is Sarah, so Serafina/Seraphina are out as name choices. Is Rufina a good alternative that captures the same style of names. I like the combination of Rufina Zinnia.
    Mommy of Juniper Teagan & Pyrus Nikolai

Catkin Winifred, Owl Arianrhod, Celandine Ceridwen, Heliotrope Isolde, Nettle Chiyo, Chicory Tallulah, Pennyroyal Matilda, Wedelia Imogen, Mallow Araminta, Dandelion Jane
    Senna Lazarus, Bramble Gideon, Comfrey Azrael, Thistle Dorian, Huckleberry Iver, Larkspur Saul, Bear Cornelius, Yarrow Barnaby, Sol Aurelius, Hawthorn Otis, Centaury Eben

New Crushes: Criofan, Silver, Bastet, and Noctua
    http://bloominggardenofnames.blogspot.com/[

I think I like Rufina...Rufus is still a little on the doggie side in my mind, but Rufina could be a "people" name While they've both got the -fina thing going for them, I don't think that Serafina and Rufina connote the same sorts of things, though. Serafina is light, smooth, airy, even a little froufrou in my book whereas Rufina is spunkier, rough-and-tumblier. I'd put Rufina in with Ramona before I'd compare it with Serafina.

I really like Zinnia, but I don't care for the similar endings of Rufina and Zinnia. I'd prefer Rufina Rose, Rufina Cerise, Rufina Margaret, or (looking at your signature) Rufina Vesper, Rufina Poppy, Rufina Amoret etc.
    Last edited by ellenelle; December 7th, 2011 at 11:30 AM.

I agree with the pp that Rufina doesn't capture the same feel as Sarah or Seraphina. I still think it could be cute though, but the spelling also makes me think of Rufus, as mentioned by pp. I think I would spell it Rafina or Raphina. It just looks a little more feminine to me and also makes me think more of Raphaela, which is pretty.

All I hear is "Roofie," as in rohypnol. Not a good association.

I really like Rufina, but like daisy451, all I can hear is "roofie"...
    18-year-old, not-so-average boy with an obsession for baby names and animals.

My Favorite Names~

Girls: Astrid, Athena, Coraima, Courtenay, Darcy, Kassia, Kimarie, Lindsay, Maryelle, Misty, Promise, Saba, Shaylene, Sky, Thalia, Tifany, Zooey

Boys: Alexander, Bjorn, Blair, Dade, Erik, Fable, Garrett, Harvey, Indigo, Isaac, Kasey, Mark, Sage, Shane, Shea, Shepherd, Slade, Thatcher, Zane

Click here to vote on my name list!