• Emma-Lynn

2 15.38%
  • Other, Please Explain Below

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Emmeline

Emmeline

I prn Emmeline as Emma-lyn (as does everyone else in my area so it is not uncommon around here) Would she experience pronunciation issues if we ever left our current area? What spelling do you like the best to get this pronunciation and why?

♥ Clara Dean Lucy Dominic ♡

Feel free to ask me anything about saints names

I didn't vote because I would have voted for other. Frankly, I don't know what spelling I would have gone for... When people ask about Emmeline's pronunciation on name boards, it's usually half-and-half between Emma-leen and Emma-line. Rarely is there someone who says they say it like "Emmalyn". So yeah, outside of your area, I think you'd have quite a bit of trouble with it, actually, if they actually say it like Emma-lyn there!

From hints at information and such, it sounds like Emma-leen is more used in the UK, and Emma-line is the more common American pronunciation, but a lot of Americans say Emma-leen, too.

Haha, I have a friend on another name board who meet an Emmeline and said it like "Emma-leen" and her mom totally attacked her, basically calling my friend a dumb person for not realizing it was Emma-lyn, and when she posted about it on a thread on the site, everyone started attacking the lady. haha. Most people don't say it like you want it to be said, lol. I don't really like any of your spellings, to be honest... Emmelyn is probably my favorite, but I don't love it... Once I wrote a story about a girl named Emilyn, nn Emmy... I know it's extraordinarily trendy, bahaha, but I think it looks softer and more clean-cut than your spellings (except for Emmeline, which doesn't have the pronunciation you want...).

Good luck!
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle + Arianne + Olivia + Violet + Charlotte + Emmeline + Eleni + Grace + Audrey + Eva + Catherine + Tess + Zoe
    Caleb + Everett + Jack + Avery + Samuel + Zane + Brody + Declan + Caspar + Grant + Rory + Thomas + Peter

I voted for Emmelyn, not because I particularly like the spelling but because if I read the name Emmeline I would think to pronounce it Emma-leen first or maybe Emma-line (I am Australian so kind of sway more towards british pronounciation). Emmelyn makes it obvious that it is meant to be pronounced the way you want it, Emme-lyn rhyming with Evelyn.

For the pronunciation you want, I would go with Emmalyn.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

My only reference to the name is Emaline by Ben Folds -- a favorite song but definitely pronounced Ema - Line.