Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sister for Henry

Hi -- We are expecting a girl and my husband and I are having a lot of trouble narrowing down names. Generally I like names that are classic but a little unusual. Henry was hard for me because I love the name, but was worried it was too popular. My husband loved it so much that we went with it and I do love it. It is popular and while I'm happy we chose it for him, I'd like the next baby's name to be a little less common if possible.

Our current list is:

Sylvia/Sylvie
    Louisa
    Matilda nn Tilly
    Cecilia

I also like Elena and Willa.

I think Louisa is my favorite, but I like all of them. Matilda I like, but feels a little trendy to me. I love the meaning of Sylvia/Sylvie and the sound of Cecilia (but am a little hung up on "blind" as a meaning).

Middle name options so far are Kirkwall (a town in Scotland we really loved) or Mavis (after the Staples singer). Louisa Mavis I like, but too Louisa May Alcott?

Feeling very torn, any thoughts on these names (or suggestions of names to consider) would be much appreciated.

From your list, I like Louisa, Sylvia, Matilda, Cecilia and Willa with Henry. Since only close family and friends would know the middle name anyway, Louisa Mavis would be fine if you don't mind the repetitive "is" sound in the combo. Here are some other suggestions.

Alice
    Margaret
    Charlotte
    Caroline
    Mabel
    Lydia
    Eleanor
    Clara
    Georgiana
    Violet
    Nora
    Evelyn
    Anna
    Adeline
    Susannah
    Elisabeth
    Dinah
    Bridget
    Fiona
    Theodora
    Philippa
    Gemma
    Camille
    Beatrice / Beatrix
    Catherine
    Agatha
    Edith
    Sybil
    Vera
    Celeste
    Justine
    Iris
    Emma
    Last edited by mischa; December 5th, 2011 at 02:27 PM.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

My favs of your list are Louisa and Willa. I kind of feel like Louisa might go better with Henry, if you care about that sort of thing (I don't really). I like Louisa Mavis, and the pp is right; most people will never know her mn, although I personally wouldn't mind the similarity to LMA, esp if I really liked the name best. I actually like all your names, so I don't think you can go wrong. I guess the trendiness of Matilda varies by region. I personally don't know a single child named Matilda at school or church, and Tillie is a cute nn. Still like Louisa and Willa best though.

I have all of those on my list except Matilda. I love Tilly but Matilda just seems like the name of a witch or an old lady to me But I do love all the others. I think Sylvie is darling and very cute, but not sure it goes with your MN's. I love Cecilia as well, the meaning does not bother me and I think Cecilia Mavis would be cute. I love LOVE Lousia. I think it is so cute and fits in with trendy names even though it isn't. It would not stick out as weird but she would probably be the only one in her class. Louisa Mavis is not too Louisa May Alcott for me, but I think Louisa Kirwall would be fine as well. Elena is my favorite from all of your options. I think Elena Mavis is cute!

Good Luck

♥ Clara Dean Lucy Dominic ♡

Feel free to ask me anything about saints names

From your list, I like Louisa best, but I like these as well:

Margaret
    Caroline
    Lydia
    Eleanor
    Anna
    Beatrice
    Edith
    Vera