Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Noël or Noëlle?

So we want to use either Noël or Noëlle for a girl or a boy. Pronounced No-el both ways, as that's how it's said in french. But I was pondering if you could use Noël for both genders? or would you see Noël and instantly pronounce it like knoll. I never really understood the Knoll pronunciation, since even in the christmas carol it's said No-el. Any feedback would be appreciated Also any middle name suggestion would also be great
    Girls:

Claudia Stephanie, Georgia Vivian, Isabel Margaret

Boys:
    Marcus Gregory and Paul Joseph

I've always seen the boys name as Noel (without the umlaut and therefore pronounced 'nole') and the girls name as Noelle, pronounced as if it has the umlaut but not spelt with it.

I see 'noël' as just a word.
    ~Boys~

★ August Eli Benedict ★ Bram ★ Casimir Mordecai ★ Edmond John Meirion ★ Gillon ★
    ★ Jory Leander ★ Julian Charles ★ Macsen ★ Magnus ★ Vasiliy ★

~Girls~

★ Aira Rose ★ Arietta ★ Clover ★ Delphina ★ Eleni ★ Fiorella ★ Hester Isobel ★
    ★ Iris ★ Lilah ★ Merit ★ Sylvia ★

Sorry to anyone who read TSI. First draft was terrible. Second drafting now.

In German both are pronounces as No-el (with and without the umlaut) and I'm not a big fan of the English "nole" either.

I think Noelle (with or without the umlaut) is safer to get the pronunciation you desire as many will drop the umlaut and just read it as Noel (also the umlaut isn't found on most English keyboards making it harder to spell the name the way you want it).
    PENELOPE|ALICE|PHOEBE|ADA|OPHELIA|EMMA|FLORA|ROSE|CHARLOTTE

Alice Cordelia - Rose Wilhelmina - Hugo Edmund - Ophelia Rosalind - Penelope Clara

CHARLIE|HUGO|ELLIOTT|HENRY|AUGUST|ARTHUR|FREDERICK|OSCAR|FELIX|CASPAR

Quote Originally Posted by renrose View Post
    I've always seen the boys name as Noel (without the umlaut and therefore pronounced 'nole') and the girls name as Noelle, pronounced as if it has the umlaut but not spelt with it.

I see 'noël' as just a word.
    Same here. I think Noel for a boy is prn 'nole' same as Joel. But if you do use the umlaut I would say no-el, but maybe with the emphasis on the first syllable, versus no-ELLE for a girl.
    Esme Caroline | Fiona Hazel | Gwyneth Rosalie | Margot Eliza | Phoebe Matilda | Sylvie Madeleine | Zara Penelope

Archer Lennox | Emrys Julian | Jasper Nathaniel | Leo Sebastian | Lucian Matteo | Milo Vincent | Rhys Donovan

Go with Noelle, no umlaut. Take that from someone whose name has an accent aigu that consonantly gets dropped or confuses people.

Noelle is the feminine version. Noel is the masculine version.