Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Creating a new nickname for 2-yr. old?

My two-year old daughter's name is Genevieve and that is what we have been calling her since she was born. To my dismay and surprise, her daycare teachers tend to shorten it to Gen or Gennie. Is it too late to start calling her Nev, primarily at a new pre-school in the fall? Nev is my preferred nickname. She can't even say Genevieve yet. I love the name Genevieve but I want Nev for school to use to ensure that no one calls her Gen.

I think you should make your preferred nickname clear, and sooner rather than later.

Genevieve is such a gorgeous, distinctive name and I agree that the nicknames Gen and Gennie don't do it justice at all. Nev is much more interesting, and it's good that you've found a nickname you're happy with because a long name like Genevieve is almost certain to get shortened. It's a shame because Genevieve is stunning in full, but best it's shortened to something you actually like. I say get in there and set the standard now!
    (now posting as katinka)

Sure, if you just tell the new preschool that she goes by Nev, they will call her that. Do you call her that at home, or do you just call her by her full name? When we registered our son for preschool, they asked if he had a nickname he went by. I think it's pretty normal for kids to have a nickname.

My husband and extended family members (I know they prefer to call her by her full name) would continue to call her Genevieve and I would call her Nev. I have been calling her Genevieve up until now. It's one of the reasons why I'm wondering if it's strange to switch to a nickname all of the sudden.

My brother and sister-in-law had a similar situation at day care with their son. His name is Gabriel and they were calling him Gabe at daycare, which they didn't like. I'm actually guilty of this as well, but now that I know they have a preference for his full proper name I make sure I call him that. Just let them know that you prefer they use Genevieve and not Gen/Gennie.

As for trying to force a nickname on her, like Nev, I wouldn't bother if you don't call her that at home. She may have an opinion on a nickname when she's older.
    Hunter Amelia / Ainsley Marie / Harper Rose / Spencer Alexandra / Finley Marie
    Hunter James / Declan Philip / Logan Alfred / Bryce James/ Xander James