Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Japanese names

Japanese names

I really like Japanese names but have no ties to the culture so I would hesitate to use them but I found some that I think would work without being hard to pronounce or seeming too crazy, what do you think? Do you have any to add? Feel free to correct my pronunciations if I'm wrong

Satomi (SAH toh mee) "beauty and wisdom" 'wise beauty" has more meanings according to other sites but they all pertain to beauty.

Manami (MAH nah mee) "love, affection" "beautiful love"

Sayuri (SAH yu ree) "small lily"

*Momoko - (MOH moh koh means "peach child) )I wouldnt use this but I know a Japanese girl with this name, it's so cute
    Josephine Athénaïs - Josephine Ivy - Myriam Athénaïs - Vivienne Josephine
    Athena Beatrice - Beatrice Cecile - Eleanor Anne-Sophie -Myriam Beatrice - Meredith Elizabeth
    Ambrose Aristide - Ulysses Aristide

Girls: Bérangère, Bérénice, Honorine, Mazarine Boys: Augustin, Emeric, Hugo, Lambert, Lucien, Maxence, Yves

I love Japanese names. I'm a big fan of Rin personally.

You do seem to have selected some with a minimum of pronunciation issues: no R, no E ending (which English speakers may not know isn't silent), no successive vowels (which English speakers may not know are usually not blended, and if they are, paired vowels are often the most problematic to pronounce). I wouldn't be quite so cautious myself...

A person with a Japanese name will get two assumptions. If they don't show visible Asian ancestry, they will get "Japanophile", which nowadays normally means "otaku". As an otaku myself, I admit I make those assumptions... though they are statistically supported.

Examination of US naming statistics shows that most Japanese-Americans don't have Japanese first names; there aren't nearly enough given to make up for the proportion of the population that's Japanese. This fits with the names of most Asian-Americans I know of. Even of the number that are given, I have to wonder how many are actually used by Japanese. The obvious outliers aren't. Raiden - which to my knowledge isn't used as a personal name in Japan, unlike Thor in Scandinavia - and Amaya are likely being used by parents who don't know their origin or at least don't care. (Raiden isn't even said like Aiden, but like rider with an N!) Akira, used mainly on girls in the US, presumably dates to the movie of that name. I believe Akira is unisex in Japanese, but the US use is odd considering the eponymous hero of Akira is male. Off the top 1000, the relatively strong showing by Sayuri suggests the influence of Memoirs of a Geisha. I have no idea how common Sakura is in its home country - it's certainly common in fiction, but it looks like the sort of name that might appeal more to writers than parents. Naturally, it does relatively well in English, because it's Japan's most familiar flower and thus something one might hope other English speakers could recognize.

Naturally, I have some attraction to Japanese names. Part of it is the sound: vowel-heavy but maintaining strong consonants, and they don't automatically stress the first syllable.

My first test for a Japanese name is "Do I only think of one person when I hear it?"
    Last edited by triplicate; November 5th, 2011 at 07:05 PM.

I'll give you girls and boy names. I love the sound of Japanese names too. ^_^ These are some I love (though there aren't as many good ones for boys)

Girls

Akemi - bright beautiful
    Akira - bright clear
    Asami - morning beauty
    Atsuko - kind child
    Emiko - beautiful blessing child
    Hana - flower
    Haruka - spring flower
    Hiro - generous
    Kamiko - superior child
    Katsumi - victorious beauty
    Kimiko - empress child
    Michiko - beautiful wise child
    Naomi - honest beautiful
    Ren - lotus
    Sakura - cherry blossom
    Tamiko - child of many beauties

Boys

Akira - bright
    Haru - spring
    Hiro - generous
    Junichi - obedient
    Kenichi - strong, healthy
    Ren - lotus
    Riku - land
    Sora - sky (though this is very Kingdom Hearts right now)
    Takashi - prosperous
    Takeshi - fierce warrior

Sora on a boy? I've only seen it on girls.

I looked through SSA data for Japanese names. However, I can't tell if some names are Japanese or not. Some Hawaiian, Finnish, Nigerian, other African, Hebrew, Russian... etc. names can look Japanese if you don't know. So, which of these are really Japanese and which aren't? Many I know are, many I can't remember seeing on anyone Japanese or in any Japanese source (which doesn't necessarily mean they're not). I know it's entirely possible that names that look the same exist in more than one language. Just to show how hard it can be, I left in a few of the definitely non-Japanese ones.

Boys:
    Kaito, Kenzo
    (Makari - Russian/Greek)
    Takumi, Riku
    Yuki - I see Yuki ("snow") more often on girls, though I have seen it sometimes as a boy's name. In the US, it seems to be equally common on both.
    Haki
    Hiro - one of the most familiar Japanese names.
    Sekou, Takeo, Aki, Akio
    Takai - This is one of those cases where I can't be sure if it's Japanese or Hawaiian/other Pacific island origin.
    Keiji, Ryo, Taiyo, Hiroto, Jiro, Koji, Neiko, Taiki, Kato, Keoki, Makoto, Rei, Sakai
    (Tabari - Arabic?)
    Akari, Sekai, Keita
    Maika - I'll guess this one isn't
    Takeru, Haruki, Hiroki, Kiyoshi, Ryota, Shinji, Yoshi, Hikaru, Hiroshi, Kaori, Keitaro
    Kairi (more common on girls)
    Kentaro
    Komari, Kumari - These two are suspect.
    Nagi, Takeshi
    (Kojo - Ghanaian)
    Kotaro, Sasuke, Seiji, Taishi, Tomoki, Kaiyu, Kamuri, Keigo, Kosuke, Naoki, Naoto, Shotaro, Sotero, Sourya, Hiroyuki
    Ichigo - I've seen this as the word for "strawberry". Sounds slightly odd to an English speaker, particularly as a boy's name.
    Ichiro
    (Iniko - Nigerian)
    Kenjiro
    Kenyi - Good chance this isn't.
    Ryusei, Ryuu, Satori, Takari, Taki, Takuto, Tomoya, Yuji

Girls:
    After Akira, Sakura, Sayuri and Yuri, Aiko is the commonest in the US.
    Sarayu, Akemi, Sakina - Particularly the second looks Japanese, but I expect none are because I can't recall seeing what would be some of the commonest Japanese names if they were.
    Midori - "green"
    Kimi, Kimiko, Saori
    Suki - though some may be from its use as a nickname for Susannah, this is definitely a Japanese name
    Yuki, Tamika, Sakari, Yui
    Momoka - I'll assume it's related to Momoko "peach girl", another of their fruit names.
    Takara, Akiya, Haruka
    Marika - Yes, this could be a form of Mary. I still suspect it's Japanese, because I've seen Mari and Mariko.
    Takia, Aimi, Keiko, Yukari, Akane, Ayame, Asuka
    (Maika on this side too - what language is it?)
    Shiori, Hikari, Keiri, Minami, Misaki
    (I guess Miyani isn't.)
    Sachiko, Saki
    (Takoda's probably Native American.)
    Aika
    Akaya - or is it Hebrew?
    Aoi - "blue"
    Harumi, Hiromi, Kyomi, Mariko, Mayumi
    Mieke - I've seen this claimed as Dutch several times, but also at least once as Japanese. It's possible it's like Naomi, a coincidentally duplicated name. The pronunciation wouldn't be the same in Dutch and Japanese.
    Miku, Miyoko, Mizuki, Oyuki, Rei, Reika, Rin, Saima, Shiza, Yumiko, Ayo
    Kimori, Kumari - again suspect
    (Mairi - Scottish, Miiaka - guess Finnish?)
    Namiya
    (Shiri - Hebrew)
    Yasuri, Yuzuki, Chika, Hanaki, Hidaya, Izumi, Kayori
    Kenji - which I only knew of as a male name
    Kiyoko, Maka, Michiko, Miyako, Momo, Natori, Rikiya, Riko, Sahori, Sakira, Ayano, Chiyo, Kumiko, Maki, Manami, Miko, Miniya, Miriya, Miu, Miyari, Nanako, Natsumi, Nishika, Nozomi, Sairi, Saiyuri, Sakara, Seiko, Yori
    Yujin - I'm sure I've seen this name/word in Chinese, Japanese and Korean, so I'm not sure in which case it's a female given name.
    Yori, Aki, Ayako, Haruna
    (Kaimi - Finnish. The most deceptively Japanese-looking of Finnish names, to the point I expect it might exist independently in Japanese.)
    Kaomi, Koharu, Mako, Reiko, Rui, Rumi, Sumayo, Sumire, Sumiya, Yuriko
    Yoshi - Another I only know of on boys. In general, names low on the SSA list show a significant number on the opposite gender, and I don't know if this data is correct.
    Last edited by triplicate; November 6th, 2011 at 10:51 PM.