Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ursula

Ursula

Help!?! I love this name. Unfortunately, it seems that it's gotten a pretty bad rap from a certain movie that I probably don't even have to mention. In some ways I feel like this is a ridiculous reason for me not consider it. I'm not worried about my feelings if people dislike it. However, I worry how my daughter would feel and if she'd be teased. it also kills me that there are so many more positive associations to this name but a cartoon is what springs to most people's minds. Has anyone else been deterred by a name they want to use? Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Re: Ursula

Ursula's a tricky one. I've always loved the sound and the fact that it means little bear- how cute is that?! - and it was the heroine in a series of books that I loved as a kid. But a lot of people do consider it to too kooky (eg Phoebe's twin sister in Friends), and of course there is that cartoon. It is a weighty name, but to me its in a category with Ingrid, Imogen, Augusta et al which are gaining popularity. Another possibility is Ursa, with is a bit softer and lighter and has the lovely constellation association. But personally, I'd love to meet a little Ursula.
    ~ Mama to Juniper Elise and Arlo Edward James ~

Susannah - Celeste- Maybelle - Pearl- Callie - Beatrice -Clementine - Delphine - Eulalie
    Zephyr - Asa - Gene - Ezra - Otis - Henry - Miles

You're giving me hope! I love it and feel it is a very strong and distinct name that a baby girl can grow into. My other daughter's name is Gwendolyn and I wanted something that was equally strong for this baby. Ursa would be a sweet nickname.

I like Ursula! I think that its definitely cute and quirky. However, I feel like U names never get much love. They seem to just not be able to dust of those stuffy old lady connections. I'd try Sula (soo-la) as a nickname, because Ursa essentially has the same feel to it as Ursula. Also, what do you think of Undine? It's another U name that has a similar offbeat feel but isn't quite as disliked as Ursula seems to be.
    TARA <3

I have an Ursa she fits her name and I love it!