Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

My final girls list (hopefully!) – feedback?

1. Viola Ruby [vy-OH-luh]
    2. Tallulah Alice (Lula)
    3. Adelaide Flora (Ada)
    4. [name]Ros[a/name] Hermione (considering a variant of Rose, not sure?)*
    5. India Bluebell (Indie)
    6. Maya Seraphine [MY-uh] OR May Seraphina
    7. Ottilie Winter (Lily) [OT-il-ee]

After weeks of rearranging, I’m hoping I’ve finally got my top names down. I’ve abandoned 2 middles for now, I figure I’ll choose the second middle when I’m actually having children.

I’m looking for comments on:
    - predicted popularity (I’m in England, though looking to move to the US later in life, and will be adopting at some point after 2016).
    - whether the first and middle names go together in style
    - which ones you’d put together for siblings
    - any big no-nos I’ve overlooked (such as bad initials, obvious teasing opportunity etc)
    - general comments on what you like/dislike about them personally

The surname I’m working with at the moment sounds like Heef, but this could change by the time I’m having children, of course.

Many thanks!

THE BOYS LIST: http://nameberry.com/nametalk/thread...46#post1292246

* The Rose variants I like are: Rosa, Rosabel(le), Rosalinde, Rosamund, Rosaline, Primrose.
    Last edited by genevie; October 10th, 2011 at 08:07 PM.
    g e n e v i e v e

Violet Ruby Grace ♀ Alice Pomeline Wren ♀ India Lotus Penelope
    May Tallulah Verity ♀ Lucia Ottilie June♀ Rosa Elowen Chloë

Ivo Valentine Fox ♂ Shiloh Atlas Grey ♂ Leo Elijah Bram
    Maben Isaac Poe ♂ Emrys Casper Gabriel ♂ Kit Auberon Xavier

Comments I know will be made:

• I’m aware that some people disagree with the use of India as a name, because of the colonisation and such. I have considered this, and I still adore the name and wish to use it.

• I know a lot of people see Bluebell, Tallulah and Winter as too “celebrity”; it’s also something I’ve considered, but I just don’t feel it myself. They are so far detached from any famous people in my mind.

Tallulah Alice doesn’t flow particularly well, I can tell. I’m not all that bothered about flow. But feel free to point out any other combos that sound awkward or just plain bad.

Ottilie is very French, and might sound odd being used on a child with no French ancestry – though I do speak some French myself and am hoping my children will be fluent. Thoughts on this?
    g e n e v i e v e

1. Viola Ruby - Are you pronouncing it like the instrument or like Violet? I like vye-oh-lah the best. Viola Ruby has great energy. Violet may become more popular but Viola should be safe.

2. Tallulah Alice (Lulu) - There are quite a lot of l's in this combo and the "ah" of Tallulah runs into the "Al" of Alice. What about Alice Tallulah? A good mix of traditional and quirky.

3. Adelaide Flora (Ada) - I love the vintage Adelaide (I think vintage names will become more popular but I don't think there's any need to panic). Flora is ok but my favourite combo is Adelaide Horatia.

4. Rosa Hermione - I think I like just Rose Hermione. I love the one syllable Rose with the multi-syllable Hermione. Since I don't care about Harry Potter, I would use Hermione as a first name as well.

5. India Bluebell (Indie) - Personally, I wouldn't use India (I'm not usually a fan of place names). Bluebell is cute for a little girl but I can't imagine a grown woman with this name. Since it's in the middle spot, it's doesn't matter so much. I will admit that India Bluebell sounds very sweet and flows together well.

6. Maya Seraphine - Maia or Mya pronunciation? Either way, I like this somewhat exotic combo.

7. Ottilie Winter (Lily) - I find these two names oddly mismatched: Ottilie sounds so bright and cheerful whereas Winter sounds so cold and grey. I don't think I like them together. I do love the nn Lily for Ottilie. Since most countries are multi-cultural and the world is getting smaller every day, many people are choosing names from different cultures. If you like the name, the sky's the limit!

Siblings:
    Adelaide and Ottilie
    Rose and Viola
    Maya and Tallulah
    All the best,
    Mischa.

Viola Ruby - I love this one! Viola is on my list as a first name and Ruby is on my list as a middle name. They're both really pretty and elegant.
    Tallulah Alice - This seems really "L" heavy to me. And I just don't like Tallulah in general. I love Alice though.
    Adelaide Flora - Adelaide is alright, it's just not my style. It's just that Adeline and Addison are getting kind of trendy, so Adelaide is probably getting more popular too.
    Rosa Hermione - I love this one too. Rosa is really pretty and I prefer it over Rose. Hermione isn't one that a lot of people feel they can use because of Harry Potter, but I really like it and in my opinion it's very usable.
    India Bluebell - I like the nn Indie, but I don't like India or many other place names. I think Bluebell is a really cute middle name though.
    Maya Seraphine - Maya just seems really plain and it's pretty popular too. It doesn't seem to go with your other names. Seraphine however is really nice.
    Ottilie Winter - I can never seem to get the pronunciation of Ottilie right. I think though with an English accent it might sound better because the t's would be more pronounced. I speak French too and it sounds really pretty in French. Winter just doesn't seem like a name to me.

Hope this helps
    Favorites:

Ophelia Lorraine Pearl ❤ Oliver Hugo Thomas

Kate

Sorry for not clarifying - Viola is [vy-OH-luh] and Maya is [MY-uh]

I agree, Tallulah Alice is quite L heavy. I don't think that the "ah" of Tallulah and "A" of Alice are a big deal though, my girlfriend's name is ----a Alice, and I've always thought it sounded pretty when said aloud. Do you think it's too L-heavy to be used? I do like Alice as a first name, but I'd probably use a different middle if I used it, because I'd still want Tallulah as a first.

Adelaide is also a place name... I don't really have an issue with place names. I'm mostly using India because I love Indie, and India's my favourite long form. I'm not really keen on Indira, Melinda etc.

Would May be a better alternative to Maya? I'm worried that it does stick out a bit.

I do love Harry Potter, but that's not why I want to use the name. It is why I put it in the middle slot though, I think the association is just a bit too strong for me to use it as a first name.

I actually thought Ottilie Winter was the most "matched" on the list! I guess I don't see Ottilie as bright/bubbly though. It makes me think of gorgeous snowy French winters.
    g e n e v i e v e