Names Searched Right Now:
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    While I am not a mother, I have no problems what so ever with someone breast feeding in public as long as their breasts are not shown completely. I go everywhere with my 4 young nephews and young nieces and I dont appreciate them having to see a whole breast. Almost no one in my family breast feeds and honestly I would never even consider it simply because its too inconvienant and I would be going back to work by the time the baby was 6 weeks if not sooner.

This is going off topic a little, but aunt_ning, I don't see how breastfeeding is inconvenient. I see formula as inconvenient. Breastmilk is always available, always the right temperature and there are no bottles to fill/sterilize. I guess if you are working, pumping could be an inconvenience, but no more so than bottlefeeding. How a mother chooses to feed her child is of course a personal decision, but its sad that so many mothers don't breastfeed their babies. BTW, I was nursing my baby as I typed this.
    Last edited by poptart; October 31st, 2011 at 04:14 PM.

I breastfed my son for 14 months and I did breastfeed in public. This does not mean I was "flashing" I had a scarf/ shawl I kept in my diaper bag and put it on if my son got hungry during a movie, dinner or 4th of July BBQ.

If the baby needs food, the breast is appropriate!
    That being said, my actions don't necessarily follow my principles. I must be hugely insecure (something I wouldn't usually describe myself as) as I seem only to be comfortable feeding my son in places I have seen women breastfeed before.
    I am always on the lookout for women breastfeeding, and am yet to see a woman breastfeed on a public bench, for example.
    I am actually happier breastfeeding when there's a crowd than when I'm just alone somewhere. I feel intimidated sometimes when breastfeeding, and a lone person comes into view walking towards me. I feel like because it isn't ubiquitously clear what is 'accepted', it opens the floor for any number of responses, rude, awkward etc.
    Another point- I breastfed my first daughter until she was 2 (haven't had the energy to do so with my other kids) and I found it increasingly uncomfortable to keep feeding her in public as she got older. Obviously she wasn't only having milk in her second year, but even had she wanted it I would never have felt comfortable feeding her in public. I would expect to filmed on camera phones and goggled at with open mouth! An exaggeration but you take my point. Breast feeding is so commonly thought of as unnatural beyond the first few months.

harrietsmummy
    mum to the lovely Harriet Katia (10) Beatrix Liv (6) and Cordelia Joyce (4) and Lionel Rafferty (1 whole year already)

I am yet another person who doesn't mind public breastfeeding one bit, but I've also been too nervous to do it with others around. If we were out, I'd go find as private an area as I could then breastfeed my daughter. I ended up breastfeeding my son for a very short time, so the situation never really happened. I don't understand how breastfeeding can be inconvenient under normal circumstances, either. But hey, to each their own. I know if I have a third child I will try it again, hopefully without all of the problems I had the first two times, because it is more convenient and FAR less expensive.
    Current loves: Theodore & Rosalind

Mommy to Arabella and Jude