Names Searched Right Now:
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    It's never inappropriate to breastfeed a baby or toddler in public. Breasts exist to feed babies. Babies are born to breastfeed. That's it, that's all.

I think that you have to feed your baby when he or she needs it. The only place I can think of that it would be totally inappropriate is like in the middle of a business meeting or something. I always try to be courteous that I am not making ppl super uncomfortable - - but most people if you just tell them, I have to feed my kid, I hope that's not awkward... and then keep all your parts as covered as possible - I have found that just having it in the open makes people feel less uncomfortable.
    In our church - there is a room for moms to nurse where they can still here the message - which is more for their privacy as you sometimes feel awkward and the baby may disrobe you - but I know no one would think twice to feed their baby in the pew if they felt like it! But then, we have lots of young families in our church so there's babies everywhere. In our weekly evening small group, at first it was a bit awkward when I started nursing - but we were the first with kids. Now we're on like baby #5 between all of us and I have been round-a-bout-ly thanked bye some of the men for getting them "used to it" and not making them uncomfortable. I'm a firm believer that if you think something might be awkward, you can talk about it! I am not a "whip it out" for all to see person though, because I am not comfortable with that. So just go with your comfort level - you don't have to be ashamed if you are embarrassed to nurse in the wide open spaces with lots of people. There is no rule that says you must flaunt your motherhood beyond your comfort level - but if you are comfortable and considerate, there's no need to fret that you will offend someone.
    Love my boys Jackson Isaiah (5), Isaac Andrew (3), and Ezra Jude (Dec 2011)

Girls' names I love but clearly will never use :
    Oliva Eden, Eliza Kate, Mila Jane

Okay, I'm not a mom. But as a woman, I just don't understand why women WANT to breastfeed in public. From a convenience standpoint, I suppose it makes sense to not have to find a bathroom or something. But I personally would be incredibly uncomfortable exposing myself that way in public, and it certainly makes me uncomfortable to watch it happen. Maybe my opinion will change if I become a mother, but right now I'd say a big no.

Quote Originally Posted by starophie View Post
    Okay, I'm not a mom. But as a woman, I just don't understand why women WANT to breastfeed in public. From a convenience standpoint, I suppose it makes sense to not have to find a bathroom or something. But I personally would be incredibly uncomfortable exposing myself that way in public, and it certainly makes me uncomfortable to watch it happen. Maybe my opinion will change if I become a mother, but right now I'd say a big no.
    How would you feed a baby in a bathroom? Would you sit on a toilet to feed a baby? Woul you personally eat your lunch in the bathroom? Have you heard of bacteria?

Babies should be fed when they are hungry, which occurs every 2 to 3 hours. How one feeds their own baby is really up to them and them alone. With attitudes such as yours, it is no wonder some mothers still have trouble fulfilling their babies needs when and where ever needed.

Quote Originally Posted by starophie View Post
    I don't want you to take this the wrong way, but I can tell from your post that you aren't a mother and that you have very little understanding of what's actually involved in breastfeeding. I don't mean to disparage you. Before I became a mother, I had similar feelings so I can understand where you are coming from. But then I had a baby, and I started to breastfeed her. Breastfeeding in public has to be acceptable in order for women to be successful at it. It's not a "want" - it's simply necessary. Babies need to eat frequently, and, when they are accustomed to nursing at the breast, this is where is has to happen. I've seen alternatives thrown out all the time - "just use a cover," "nurse in the bathroom," "bring a pumped bottle" - but, for someone who really understands breastfeeding, they would also understand that these are not always viable options.

I really would like to see more of an atmosphere of support among women - support for each other and each other's choices. In this case, what you see is a mother doing one of the best things for her baby by feeding her at the breast. It's a mother nurturing her baby. What's wrong with swallowing your own discomfort when you come across something like this?