Names Searched Right Now:

Do you like the name Madeleine?

I like the name pronounced "MAD-deh-lyn" but I don't like the more contemporary spelling "Madelyn". And to me Madeline should be pronounced "MAD-deh-line".

Will people have trouble pronouncing or spelling Madeleine?

I have a friend named Madeleine with the same pronunciation and she is mistaken for Madeline, but once corrected people usually get it right.

I love Madeleine! This weekend it's jumped up farther on my list because I realized it has all the letters of my sister's MN, just jumbled up (Eileen--madELEINE...). I seriously considered Eleni Madeleine, but I don't think the flow is very good. I still could use Madeleine, nn Eleni/Leni, but I just like Eleni more. I've thought about seeing if I can fit Madeleine somewhere else on my list. I really like it.

I haven't really asked for opinions in the "real world", but on baby name sites I've heard people complain about how much they prefer Madelyn/Madalyn because it's so much more obvious, and that they don't have a clue how to say Madeleine. Madeline? Mad-uh-LANE? Mad-uh-lyn? I don't see how it could be so complicated, lol, but I took French for two years and I love studying languages and names. I wrote the name down once at work, and I told my boss how to say it, because I figured it would be a problem, haha, and he was like, "Oh, okay." It wasn't his first thought (Madeline was), but it wasn't that big of a deal. I don't think it'd be a huge deal in real life, either...

Good luck!
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

i love it i don't think it would cause more confusion then a "typical" name

Love the name, but don't like the popularity right now. I think your pronunciation is more typical so hopefully you will avoid pronunciation difficulties.