• I never give vitamins

3 27.27%
  • I give only when child is ill

0 0%
  • I believe in higher doses of vitamins for sick infants

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vitamins, Babies and Health

What is your attitude to giving baby/toddler vitamin supplements? Do you give them as a matter of course each day or only when they are sick? Do you think that they are beneficial to the growth and health of the child or do you simply believe in providing fresh food?

I would be interested to find out what the average feeling is and whether someone has had outstanding success in giving vitamin supplements to a sick child.

Thanks,

rollo
    Last edited by rollo; September 30th, 2011 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Poll should read Vitamins, your baby and you
    Psalm 23

I don't have a little one yet, but my mom pumped us full of Vitamin C just before she thought we were coming down with something and it really seemed to get rid of our symptoms or make our colds less severe. My sisters do it too for their kids and they're some of the healthiest kids I know. One of my sisters has a rule where she doesn't give her children vitamins before the age of 4. Seems to work well for them.
    Veronika, Stephen, & Annora Josephine

Some kids are such picky eaters that I think it's always good to give them some vitamin supplements. At least, as a parent, you'll know be a little more confident that they're getting the daily dose of nutrients that they need to grow up healthy and strong. I don't think it does any harm. Of course, ideally, it would be wonderful to know that whatever you feed them would be enough. Vitamins just give them a helping hand just in case they're not getting enough good stuff in their diets (vegetables and fruits). And I think North American kids need them if the obesity rate is any indication of what they're eating (junk food). As far as small babies and toddlers are concerned, I think it's best to ask your family doctor if you suspect they may be lacking something.
    Last edited by mischa; September 30th, 2011 at 06:02 PM.
    All the best,
    Mischa.

I think that, ideally, everyone should get their vitamins and minerals from a balanced diet. Unfortunately, my son is the pickiest person I've ever met. At his worst, when he was 2-2.5 years old, he would only eat five things...no joke. On my doctor's advice, I started giving him a daily supplement. There was no other way he going to get nutrients he really needed.

He's a little less picky than he used to be (up to 20+ things, woo-hoo!), but he still takes his vitamins. He's very strong, healthy, and quite tall for his age. I don't know for sure if I can credit the vitamins, but I know they didn't hurt.

I'm a strong believer in vitamins. I could always tell when my son hadn't taken his vitamins because he's be tired and cranky (still to this day!)
    Mother of the 6-year-old finger-painter, Benjamin Henry (and proud of it, too)

Also proud to be the mother of blue-eyed twins, Amelia Joy and Athena Maya, born Thursday, August 4, 2011.