Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Urijah

I just can't get over the similarity to the word urine.
    My girls: Grace Patricia "Gracie Pat" & Eloise Martha "Elsie Mae"
    If we had a baby today: Moira Jane OR Desmond Walter
    Guys: Julian, Amos, Tobias, August, Silas
    Dolls: Iris, Hazel, Flora, Margo, Agnes

http://modernmonikers.wordpress.com

Isn't Urijah the name of the guy in the Old Testament who was supposed to guide the Ark of the Covenant back to Israel, but they put it on a cart instead of carrying it with the poles? So when it tipped, he steadied it with his hand, and then God struck him dead? Or was he another Uriah? I thought the name was similar...

I agree with the others. I don't really see urine/urinal/etc., but so many people do that even if I do see the appeal of Uriah (and maybe Urijah--I like Uriah more), I would never use it because that association is so overwhelming.

Just saw on tv an MMA fighter named Uriah Faber...

Somewhere along the banks of the mighty Columbia
    It looks like a convoluted spelling of Uriah. Its ok, but there's a lot of teasing potential and the whole Uriah Heep association to contend with.
    Trying, trying, trying

Current favorites:
    Boy: Asa Guillaume, Barnaby August
    Girl: Apolline Iris- Polly, Clothilde Juno- Chloe

Quote Originally Posted by ashthedreamer View Post
    Isn't Urijah the name of the guy in the Old Testament who was supposed to guide the Ark of the Covenant back to Israel, but they put it on a cart instead of carrying it with the poles? So when it tipped, he steadied it with his hand, and then God struck him dead? Or was he another Uriah? I thought the name was similar...
    That was Uzzah. Uriah/Urijah is more attractive, IMO! The short form Uri is a guilty pleasure of mine; I probably wouldn't use it because of the association with unfortunate words. I once saw the boy/boy twinset Lucius and Uri suggested (I think here on Nameberry), and fell in love. They share the meaning "light."
    "He telleth the number of the stars; He calleth them all by their names."
    Psalm 147:4

Still dreaming:
    Tobias Rory Benjamin ~ Crispin Isaiah ~ Ransom Horatio ~ Lucius Olórin ~ James Deliverance
    Una Marguerite/Oona Sylvestra ~ Jessamyn Agnes ~ Branwen Evangeline ~ Alice Emmanuelle ~ Christiana Linnet