Names Searched Right Now:
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    i'm so happy this thread exists. most of my family and friends think I'm crazy when i tell them my favorite names. they think that the nnames are "too hippy" or that i'm throwing these names out "just to be different." i'm just trying to be true to who I am, a nature loving, slightly crunchy granola, kind of off-beat lady. its hard not to have any support from the fam, and its even worse, when they gang up on me and rip my list apart. thankfully, the hubs is on board with all of my favorite names (hooray!) so my plan when i finally get pregs? not tell anyone (except my nameberries!) about our chosen name until after the little dude/gal has arrived!
    names that i love but fam hates:
    Aniela (my great grandmothers name, pronounced ann-YELL-ah, its the polish version of Angela)
    Azalea (nn Lea)
    Annika
    Dahlia
    Meadow
    Silas
    Rocco
    Dexter
    proud mama to Aniella Juniper 5.10.13

@valkyrie - I love Ursula too, but yeah, pretty much unusable. I don't think it's so much the fact that it's the name of a villainess as it's that it's the name of a fat, old, ugly villainess. If Ursula were totally hot, I don't think people would have such a negative reaction to the name (case in point, no one seemed to mind the name when the only association was Ursula Andress).

Well I wouldn't say everyone hates them, but I've found out I get negative reaction for not picking out popular/common names if I tell people names I like.

Arthur, Dexter, Thomas, Eric, Godric, Forrest, George, Walter, Alastair [or Aleister]. (Luckily I haven't gotten that much flak for the boys names I like because I'm having a girl so it's mainly been the following names people pitch hissy fits about...

Alethea, Cordelia, Georgia, Ruth, Temperance, Lucille, Audrey, Helena, etc..

And I've heard the stupidest and most asinine reasons for people disliking a name choice everything from "Don't name your kid after your mom, it'll make my new wife jealous" to "That name sounds Southern".

Quote Originally Posted by pansy View Post
    @valkyrie - I love Ursula too, but yeah, pretty much unusable. I don't think it's so much the fact that it's the name of a villainess as it's that it's the name of a fat, old, ugly villainess. If Ursula were totally hot, I don't think people would have such a negative reaction to the name (case in point, no one seemed to mind the name when the only association was Ursula Andress).
    I know a Welsh girl called Ursula. She goes by the nickname Ursy most of the time.
    ~Boys~

Jory Leander Atticus, August Eli Benedict, Casimir Mordecai Stewart,
    Edmond John Meirion, Horatio Ethell Emery, Bram William Jasper,
    Julian Remy Charles, Vasiliy Lochlan Michael.

~Girls~

Aira Rose ___, Eleni Fiorella Charlotte, Sylvia Sayuri Noor,
    Merit Eleanora Adelaide, Clover Elodie Seraphine, Bridie Scarlett Viola,
    Marguerite Cecilia Iris, Eilidh Clara Valentine.

Beta read The Self Invention: The book is now complete. All chapters are up!

Ive gotten wierd reactions to:

Hermione
    Agatha
    Agnes
    Morgan (boy)
    Laurence
    Jemima
    Jonas