Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Elowen? (and more)

Hi!

Lately I've been crushing on the girls name Elowen (ell-oh-wyn). It's not listed on NB but I found a definition from Behind The Name saying it was derived from "elm tree".

What do you think of it? Would it be way too complicated in Canada? Of course I won't be having children for at least 10 years, but I just like to get ideas and opinions.

Also, what do you think of these names? Could you see any working with Elowen?

Juniper
    Lilou
    Romilly
    Violet
    Annabel
    Freya

Any mn suggestions for Elowen? I was thinking Elowen Grace as Grace is a family name, but I'm not sold on it.

Thanks!!

-Chloe

I like Elowen a lot. It was talked about quite a bit on another baby name I frequent a few years ago, and I think it's sweet. I especially love it for the nns Ella, Lola, and Winnie. I think Elowen Grace is pretty. I also thought of Elowen Kate and Elowen Julia?

I really like Juniper, Romilly, Violet, Annabel, and Freya, too, and I think they're very sweet with Elowen! Lilou is nice and I do like it--I just like other Lil- names more, like Liliana, Lillian, Lily, Lilija, Lila, etc.

Good luck!

I don't see why Elowen would be too complicated for Canada? It's pretty phonetic...
    I happen to love this name, and I think it fits in well with the trendy Eleanor, Ella style names while still being unusual and distinctive. The only problem for me is that when I mention it to people, they assume I got it out of the Lord of the Rings (like Eowyn I guess) but that probably wouldn't matter so much if you don't have nerdy friends. I think it goes with most of your other names, although Elowen and Lilou are a bit hard to say together.

I think it's quite pretty. It's Welsh and it's not actually said with the emphasis you're thinking of. I would try and get a sound clip of someone welsh saying it. I actually know someone who used this for her daughter nn Winnie. I think it's really pretty. You definitely have a certain style and the names you listed would make a nice sibset - although Lilou really just feels like a nn to me.
    Switching careers and becoming an RN! Sadly mommy plans will have to wait until that's done. Still loving names though!

Neuilly,

I got a clip of someone pr. it. I stand corrected - Uh-loh-wyn. Do you think it would be okay if I used the pr. Ell-oh-wyn?

Thanks everyone so far!