Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to pronounce Isolde? Baby due in Dec

I read the real pronunciation sounds likes this ih - s oh l - duh ...... but i was hoping to use it either as ee-sold or ee-sol. If i pronounce it ee-sol i would change the spelling to Isole. So my main question if you picked this name already how do you pronounce it? and for reference my other two daughters are Kairi Xia Baca and Ella Q Baca (Kairi Xia pronounced Kye-ree, Zia) and Ella just how it sounds, the Q sounded best with her name. Now everyone calls her Ella Q like one full name

ok im rambling..... i just feel Kairi and Ella are very soft girly sounding names..... i dont know how i feel about Isolde being soft or girly? Someone help me out ive been racking my brains out trying to find a name

My reference is the movie "Tristan and Isolde". Unfortunately it was pronounced "is old" in the movie. I do think Isla...although getting rather popular on this site might be a nice alternative and works great with your daughter's names.

I think Isla is a lovely name, but it's a little bit too similar to Ella. I like Isolde, although I agree it's hard to figure out how to pronounce it-- I always pronounced it ee-SOLD. To me, the name doesn't really sound soft and girly-- I think of more of a strong, heavily armored 'action babe,' though the 'e' on the end does soften it.

Some other names that sound like they might fit with Kairi and Ella:

Arden
    Bronte (not the softest sound)
    Darragh (pronounced 'Dara') OR just Dara itself
    Iris
    Isis
    Laila
    Thea
    Anais
    Maya or Maia
    Tamar
    Gioia (pronounced JOY-a)
    Lyra
    Carys
    Coren
    Simone
    Danae
    Nerys
    Ianthe

I registered just to tell you that Isolde is pronounced "is old", with emphasis on the syllable 'so'.

ih-ZOHL-dh

If you use this name and change the pronunciation, you should be aware that there will be plenty of people who will "mistakenly" call your daughter by the true pronunciation.

Isolde's pronunciation depends upon which language you are using when you say it. Since the opera was German, in German it is pronounced Ee-zold-uh. However, the original Celtic spelling is Iseult/Yseult, ee-suhlt. In French, it is ee-zold, no final syllable.
    It was quite common in medieval times but the association with Wagner has limited its current usage. I like the name -- it has a good meaning -- but I prefer the softer Celtic sound and spelling. (Even though the opera is one of the few of Wagner's that I actually enjoy.)