Names Searched Right Now:

Hybrid View

Which is the least popular/most unusual: Rose, Josephine, or Maeve?

According to the Social Security Administration website, Josephine is #186, Rose is #337, and Maeve is #536. I'm worried that they are all getting too popular, because each has climbed up the charts! These are the only three my husband has considered (my own taste is even less conventional). Rose and Josephine are both family names, and Maeve honors my husbands 100% Irish heritage.

My (other) favorites-- would love opinions!
    Mairead, Beatrix, Louisa, Penelope, Phoebe, Sage, Fiona, Finnoula, Hazel, Tabitha, Rowan, Wiley, Willa, Winnie, Neve,Mae, Sylvie, Pearl, Anna, Camille/Camilla, Graziella, Clover, Ophelia, Roisin, Saoirse, Seraphina

Josephine and Rose are beautiful, but if you're worried about popularity then go with Maeve. It's pretty, spunky and has a nice meaning. From your list I like Beatrix, Louisa, Fiona, Willa, Sylvie, Pearl, and Clover (one of my very guilty pleasures) the best.
    Mommy to the handsome Silas Lee, born Dec. 2nd, 2010

I love Maeve, and at #536, it has a ways to go before it hits "too popular", IMO. Josephine is pretty, but the numbers make it the most popular of those 3. That being said, I don't think a girl will grow up with another Josephine in her class, maybe not even her school while a Rose will have many classmates that will say, "That's my middle name!". I've met Rose's, but no little Josephines or Maeve's. From your other list, I like Fiona - except for the Shrek association, Tabitha reminds me of a cat - probably because of tabby cat though ignoring that link I really like it, I adore Ophelia but would never use it myself, I don't know how to pronounce Mairead, Saoirse, or Roisin, Rowan and especially Wiley are boys names to me, I like Camilla better than Camille - I think the extra syllable adds completeness to the name, Mae, Anna, and Louisa are my faves on your list.