Names Searched Right Now:

Working Backwards From Nicknames?

Hi Berries,

Our top girls name is Claudia, but it started out as a name crush on Claudie, and eventually we decided to use Claudie as a nickname for the more formal Claudia.

Our 2nd fav is Penelope, which my partner loves, but for me I think the main reason it's stuck around the top of my list is that quite quickly I settled on the nickname Nell, which I adore. Becoming attached to nicknames seems to really cement a name for me, so in rounding out our girls list (the only other firm favourite on there is Ivy, which feels a little nicknamey itself since it's 2 syllables and ends with "ee") I thought maybe I should start with my fav nicknames and work from there, finding formal names for them?

Does anyone else use this method in finding baby names?

So can anyone suggest full names for the following nicknames. Bonus points if they have different ending sounds to Claudia, Penelope and Ivy though not necessary! I'd say my style is a little vintage, but I also like a touch of the exotic and love European names (Spanish, Greek, Italian, French) and nothing in the UK top 100 which can be found here (http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...-oliver-olivia)

Allie
    Bea
    Cece
    Etta
    Gia
    Ginny
    Hattie
    Indi
    Kitty
    Lettie
    Lina/Lena/Lana
    Lula
    Mae/May
    Vivi (but all "Viv" names are out as my partner hates them)

I can't wait to hear what you guys come up with! The longer the lists the better And please post if you have a suggestion for all the nicknames or just for one

Thanks all!
    Last edited by ljandrl; September 1st, 2011 at 06:06 PM.
    27 year old name addict, dreaming of a future:

Claudie _____ Evelyn, Otto William, Lilac, Quentin, Angelica, Emrys, Mirabelle, Xavier, Phoebe, Harlan, Tabitha Barnaby, Ivy, Lennox

Oh wow guys, thanks so much! So a lot of these have been previously veoted by my partner sadly, like Cecily, Beatrix, Allegra (a fave of mine!) But here are some that I think could work!:

Acacia
    Camille
    Cela
    Cena
    Celeste
    Circe
    Isala
    Selena
    Alianna
    Aldabella (never heard of this! Interesting...)
    Althea
    Alma (though I think we've already decided this sounds bad with our surname)
    Isabeau (how is this pronounced?)
    Ceres
    Aletta (this is seriously growing on me, but please tell me it doesn't just sound like "a letter" lol)
    Cosette
    Evette
    Gianna
    Genevieve (even though he's vetoed it, I'll try again!)
    Ginevra
    Hadley
    Indira
    Indigo
    Rosalind
    Katherina
    Rosalina
    Bellina
    Selena
    Louisa (he's vetoed it but I adore it)
    Amabel
    Amalia

Thanks so much! Keep em coming guys! And feel free to add in cute vintagey nicknames too
    27 year old name addict, dreaming of a future:

Claudie _____ Evelyn, Otto William, Lilac, Quentin, Angelica, Emrys, Mirabelle, Xavier, Phoebe, Harlan, Tabitha Barnaby, Ivy, Lennox