Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Good guess, isaberry.

Bouquets to miloowen and isaberry for their articulate posts.

rollo
    Psalm 23

Quote Originally Posted by daisy451 View Post
    Cohen actually is quite a controversial name, and can be offensive to some Jewish people, as Deacon can be to some Catholics. The article wasn't criticizing Judaism; it was simply trying to warn parents that a name they may be considering could be construed as offensive by some people.
    Exactly, any accusations of NB and Pam and Linda being anti-semetic are not only ludicrous but also a bit offensive to myself, a member of NB for over two years. I remember this being an issue a year or so ago. Pointing out the controversy over Cohen is actually showing respect for those who may find it distasteful in the Jewish community.

Should I also be offended as a WASP that a name I recently looked up was reviewed as "too-WASPY"? Because I wasn't. Actually I had good hearty laugh about it, because it was true. One of the best things about this great site of Pam and Linda's is that it describes the real picture of what a name is like, not just meaning and origin. I'm thankful that they are honest on their site. Imagine if someone just liked the name Cohen, named their kid that, and then offended a number of people in doing so. I think it's kind of them to let people know that's a possibility beforehand.
    Mom to Clementine the cat and Friedman the fatter cat.

Allybear, for you to use the term anti-semitic in reference to nameberry is beyond absurd and I'm glad to see that, with their usual intelligence and insight, other berries have jumped in to disabuse you of your misguided notion, explaining why Cohen and Jacoby are on that list--not "simply because they are Jewish names." One half of the team that created this site is, indeed, Jewish, we have written an entire book on Jewish names--"Beyond Sarah and Sam: An Enlightened Guide to Jewish Baby Naming," several of our other books, including our latest, "Beyond Ava & Aiden," have sections on the history of Jewish names in America, and we have run blogs on the site about Hebrew names, Israeli names and Yiddish names. It appears that you are new to nameberry and this is your first post; I'd advise you in future to become more familiar with the material and issues you are misjudging before you do so, and refrain from placing --to use your word--offensive--and baseless-- accusations and language on our site.