Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

What do you look for most in a name?

Is it the sound? The origin? The "genre" (old lady, saint name, etc.)? While all these are important factors in choosing a name, what is the absolute number one criterion for you?

For me, it's versatility. I want my future child to be able to fit in as a soft-spoken, straight-A student, but also as a punk skateboarder who has never gotten above a C in their life. I want it to look good with "MD" written after it, but also to look good on a movie premier poster. I find unusual names are quite good for this - no one (I the US, anyway) has any stereotype whatsoever of an Anwen, so she can be whatever she wants and fit in.
    Proud author of Kissimmee, Orlando, Mary, Adam, Mississippi, Micah, Georgette, Evelyn, Diane, Millicent, Maybeline, Prudence and so many many more

I look for versatility as well.

Current Favorites
    August - Daniel - Erik - Heath - Leo - Ronan
    Eve - Fiona - Johanna - Lana - Lena - Sally

I look for names that sound good and don't have any horrible associations in my life.
    If I find that it's hard for me to spell a name or pronounce it, it's out (but Myfanwy is on my list because I memorized how to say it, lol).
    Raevyn
    Book geek
    The cold never bothered me anyway.
    Boys: Finn+ Samuel+ Augustus
    Girls: Elsa+ Blanche+ Lily
    Currently reading....Gone with the Wind

I suppose sound is probably number one, because it's from that that I can almost create a picture or image, or get a certain 'feeling' from a name. It's what I base my opinions of a name around, if I don't have any other strong association. But at the same time associations, name length, and meaning can also be deal breakers or makers.
    Wholocked, history and chemistry loving teenberry (16).
    Hoping to be a mummy in the very distant future. Dreaming of...
    Pandora Valencia FaeEvanthe Lyra Annabeth
    Little Misses
    Caspian Sherlock WalterPhoenix Arthur Blaise
    Mister Men

Crushing on... ✦ AmadeaGeorgianaViolaPtolemyArchieHamish
    "'Mycroft' is the name you gave me; if you could possibly struggle all the way to the end."
    • Mycroft Holmes • Sherlock (BBC) • His Last Vow •

I think I'm just naturally drawn to old Victorian style names for girls, but boys I'm not as fussed with a particular genre. I go mainly on positive imagery - Doris makes me picture a sweet little Victorian girl with blonde pigtails, throwing tea parties and picking flowers, etc, however Bellatrix makes me picture Bellatrix from Harry Potter - not so positive.
    Girls: Amelia, Ava, Emily, Sophia, Ella, Freya, Charlotte, Millie, Eva, Florence, Matilda, Eleanor, Martha, Violet, Clara, Betsy, Mabel, Ada, Lillian, Minnie, Tillie, Doris, Edna

Boys: Harry, Charlie, William, George, James, Alfie, Joshua, Archie, Henry, Daniel, Edward, Harrison, Adam, Matthew, Michael, Liam, Callum, Louis, Albert, Andrew, Ernest, Darcy

~no matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world~