Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Has anyone here legally changed their child's name?

I have a son who is only a couple of months old, and we're thinking of changing his name. His name is currently Vladimir Aven, but it just doesn't fit him. Honestly, it was his father's choice; I didn't care for the name to begin with but I didn't hate it (and he was INCREDIBLY adamant about it), so I went with it. However, it's just not him. I can't imagine him growing with this name, or calling him on the playground, or anything. Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely name, it just doesn't suit my son. So we are considering the process of legally changing his name.

Have any of you gone through that process in the U.S., with your child or for yourself? If so, how was it? How will a legal name change now affect him later in life? I understand that it's a lot of paperwork and it can be expensive, but what I'm really worried about is how this will affect him when he goes to apply for jobs, loans, college, etc. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I am in Canada and we changed our daughters name when she was 6 weeks old. Just did it at a registry, paid the fee. It was fairly simple because she was still a baby. I would say the ealier you do it the better!

I would go ahead and change his name now while he's still a baby. It won't affect him in the future if it's done now. My aunt went through the process to change her and her kids' surnames. It was a huge hassle for her, but for the kids it was no problem since the only real legal documents they have are birth certificates and social security cards.
    ♂ | Samuel ◊ Edward ◊ George ◊ Arthur ◊ Ezra ◊ Gideon ◊ James ◊ Quentin ◊ Solomon ◊ Jasper
    ♀ | Helen ◊ Cora ◊ Anne ◊ Jane ◊ Caroline ◊ Catherine ◊ Gwen ◊ Georgia ◊ Elizabeth ◊ Lydia

Re: Name changes affecting things later - In many states, especially at that age, you can get a new or amended birth certificate reflecting the name change (similar to when someone is adopted). For things like the jobs, loans, college, etc. that you mentioned, when they ask for other names you've used what they're interested in are other names records they may want to check (e.g. credit history, past employers, school records since high school, criminal history) are under any other names - he doesn't need to even bring up a name change done before he was old enough to have anything along those lines under the former name (unless it's for something like a security clearance or a police job where they can legally ask about every intimate detail of your life). (One member on here will try to argue against my points, but what I've posted has come straight from the horse's mouth - I've asked some employers and banks to clarify the question, and except for the security clearance exception the answer has been unanimous* that name changes done before you'd have any "adult" records don't need to be brought up. In fact, inquiring about irrelevant name changes can be grounds for a discrimination lawsuit if the change was done for a reason like a gender change or to help assimilate if you had a foreign-sounding name.)

*ETA: Another exception might be that blade said that when doctors apply to practice they have to show proof of any name changes, but I don't know if that would apply to someone like your proposal for DS if the birth certificate is amended and nothing relevant to your schooling or practice history existed before the name change. She brought that up on here when an adult doctor-to-be wanted to change his "normal" name to something "badass" (using his description), and informed him of the pitfalls of doing a name change in his profession.
    Last edited by namefan; July 17th, 2014 at 08:44 AM.

My name was changed as a child. Unfortunately, it wasn't done exactly legally, and it's left me in a huge mess as an adult. If you decide to do it, just make sure you do it by the book, and keep all paperwork handy for your son to use as an adult. If he has the paperwork with him, it's really not a big deal to take it anywhere he'd need to show official paperwork. It's just one more thing to keep track of, along with BC and SS card. At his age, I'm wondering if he couldn't just get an amended BC. Regardless, keep all paperwork for him to have when he's an adult. My mother didn't, and I can't begin to tell you what a hell it is to be in the sort of mess I got into.
    Considering...
    Cordelia Eilonwy Snow ● Evadne Undomiel Snow ● Isabeau Sophronia Blanche ● Lorelei Nimue Ondine
    Pandora Vivienne Swan ● Thisbe Octavia Wildrose ● Thora Ilythia Swan

●●● ●●● ●●●
    Caspian Ithuriel Wilder ● Damian Rainer Sparrow ● Evander Ithuriel Sol
    Gwydion Alaric Hart ● Malachi Tristan Bjorn ● Phineas Robin Blaise ● Theodore Peregrine Llyr

our furbabies: Sebastian & Oleander