Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Would you break the mold or just settle for name you like?

I am due in December and having the hardest time coming up with names that I love that go along with my DD's name, Annabelle. We don't know if we are having a girl or boy so we have to come up with one name for each. Everyone suggests old fashioned sweet
    names to go along with DD, but I'm not loving any right now. Can I pair a more modern or unisex name with DD and the sib set still be okay? I feel like I am being forced to stay in the traditional old fashioned camp when I might want to venture over and see what the
    other side has to offer, and who knows? I just might find a name I love. I just don't want to have a wacky sibset though. So what are your thoughts? Would you break from the style mold of your 1st child's name or just try to find a name that you liked that made a
    better sounding sib set and settle for it? Any suggestions? Thanks for your help. I am getting so frustrated by this process and just
    want to get it out of the way and enjoy the rest of my pregnancy!

i wouldnt say it has to be old fashioned.
    i would absolutely not choose a gender neutral name. to be fair to your 2nd daughter i would choose something decidedly feminine whether new and unique (blossom, fleur, vienna) trendy (savanna, dalia, imogen) popular sometime in the past (jennifer, josephina) or the current favorites which are also classic (charlotte, lily)... not my suggestions but i just used those names to illustrate what i am saying. i just dont think its fair to name her riley, addison, charlie when her sister's name is beautifully feminine

i would wonder how many people outside of naming boards judge names as a 'sib set'? i think you could find a nice balance with something with a more modern touch - i think being happy with your choice is more important than settling anyhoo!
    - Bethany Anne - born April 2012 -

Don't be hemmed in by you first daughter's name. Children are only considered part of a 'sib set' while they are children (1.e. 16-20 years). They spend most of their life as adults (i.e. 55-60 years), and very often the people they deal with have no idea what their siblings are called, let alone care whether they "match". Having a name that compliments or works well with sibling names should absolutely be one of the last things to consider, and should always be overridden by factors such as the sound of the name, the meaning of the name, and whether the name reflects what the parents want it to reflect.
    Having said all of that I would avoid names that are overly matchy or rhyming with sibling names.

Have you tried Nymbler? I've gotten a few good suggestions with it. Nothing I hadn't heard before, but it's a good way to see names in the same style.
    I type on an iPhone and take no responsibility for typos, auto-correction, or strange grammar in my posts.