Names Searched Right Now:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sorcha

Quote Originally Posted by grace.kasten View Post
    lucykate- Do you mean you are fluent in Gaelic?! I know many bits and pieces from my grandparents but other than them I have never met anyone else who was fluent in Gaelic!

And I love the name Sorcha. My sister is Brigid and she always has to correct people but I don't think it is that big of a deal and she isn't bothered by it.
    Yes, I went through the entire education system learning through Irish/Gaelic, as I attended an Irish language speaking school. I began learning when I was 4yrs old, and I reached a fluent level when I was around 10yrs old. Its a dying language so its something I'm very happy to have, and I'm hopeful I can pass it down to my little one!
    Where are your grandparents from? That's so interesting!
    Proud Mama to Two Perfect Little Ladies.
    Big Girl, 25.04.2007
    Small Girl, 06.09.2011

Wanting to be Pregnant & Hoping for a 2013 Blessing.

Alice Victoria Primrose | Annabella Sophie Faye
    Noah Gabriel Joseph | Zachary Roman James

Vote on my name list here.

My daughter's name is Sorcha: we pronounce it "SOR-a-kha" with an aspirated "K" sound, as in "Loch". She also gets "SOR-a-ha", and "SIR-ka", from our Irish friends with various accents. She has been called "Orca" - as in Killer Whale - but mostly in good fun.

It's not strictly a form of Sarah - Sarah was merely used as an easy Anglicization when Gaelic names were frowned upon. It means "Clear" and "Bright".

We used Sorcha for its meaning, its references in mythology and literature, and as an alternative to Saoirse (which for me had way too many political overtones).

We're in Canada, and haven't had to explain it too much - mostly we get compliments and questions about its origin. But we also have an extensive network in Eire and NI so we also got really positive reactions from that quarter.

Hope that helps, and good luck with the naming process!
    Last edited by punkprincessphd; August 21st, 2011 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lucykate219 View Post
    Yes, I went through the entire education system learning through Irish/Gaelic, as I attended an Irish language speaking school. I began learning when I was 4yrs old, and I reached a fluent level when I was around 10yrs old. Its a dying language so its something I'm very happy to have, and I'm hopeful I can pass it down to my little one!
    Where are your grandparents from? That's so interesting!
    That's so great! They are from Cork. All my dad's side still lives there. My great-grandfather on my mom's side came from Irelnad and married a French woman (scandalous, I know), so I am 80% Irish and about 20% French.
    Proud mother to Jackson Scott, Samuel Jameson Brave, Lucas Liam Matthew and Elena Rue and Alexandra Marielle.

This is way too crazy..I live in Cork!
    West Cork, Clonakilty, to be exact.
    Small world or what
    Proud Mama to Two Perfect Little Ladies.
    Big Girl, 25.04.2007
    Small Girl, 06.09.2011

Wanting to be Pregnant & Hoping for a 2013 Blessing.

Alice Victoria Primrose | Annabella Sophie Faye
    Noah Gabriel Joseph | Zachary Roman James

Vote on my name list here.

I think your child would have it mispronounced her entire life in the U.S.!

Sorika- makeup a different spelling

Otherwise, she'll be called sorCHA- emphasis on ch sound