Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sorcha

Sorcha

I've begun to fall in love with the Irish name Sorcha, but would it be too unheard of in the United States? So, my question is when you first see Sorcha, how do you assume it's pronounced?

It's actually pronounced sor-ih-ka. Do you think this is doable in the us or would I be setting her up for a lifetime of confusion? WDYT?

Well I'm fluent in Irish so I knew how it was pronounced, great choice btw!
    Another (less common) pn is Sor-sha.
    I don't think its too difficult, its a beautiful name. Most people would catch on if the pn explained to them
    Proud Mama to Two Perfect Little Ladies.
    Big Girl, 25.04.2007
    Small Girl, 06.09.2011

Wanting to be Pregnant & Hoping for a 2013 Blessing.

Alice Victoria Primrose | Annabella Sophie Faye
    Noah Gabriel Joseph | Zachary Roman James

Vote on my name list here.

I knew how it was pronounced too, but only because I'd read it somewhere before!

I think it's a pretty name although I think I prefer the other pronunciation that lucykate mentioned. I like the softer sound. It reminds me a bit of Saiorse

I guess the worst that can happen is that people might call her sor-cha and kids could come up with scorcher lol. I think it's useable!

Oh, also thought I'd throw in that Sorcha is the Irish/Gaelic version of Sarah.
    Very sweet!
    Proud Mama to Two Perfect Little Ladies.
    Big Girl, 25.04.2007
    Small Girl, 06.09.2011

Wanting to be Pregnant & Hoping for a 2013 Blessing.

Alice Victoria Primrose | Annabella Sophie Faye
    Noah Gabriel Joseph | Zachary Roman James

Vote on my name list here.

lucykate- Do you mean you are fluent in Gaelic?! I know many bits and pieces from my grandparents but other than them I have never met anyone else who was fluent in Gaelic!

And I love the name Sorcha. My sister is Brigid and she always has to correct people but I don't think it is that big of a deal and she isn't bothered by it.
    Proud mother to Jackson Scott, Samuel Jameson Brave, Lucas Liam Matthew and Elena Rue and Alexandra Marielle.