Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thoughts on Ellery?

I used to live on an Ellery St, and I've recently started thinking of it as a wonderful name. I've heard/written "Ellery" so much from living there so long that I have no idea what it sounds like on fresh ears, so... thoughts?

I used to LOVE Ellery. I had Ellery Jane, nn Ella, on my list. I also really liked Ellery Madeleine and Ellery Jewel... I think those are sweet, too. When I found out it was unisex, that kinda put me off of the name (I'm not a fan of unisex names on girls at all, lol), but I still like it. I much prefer Ellery to it's more dated, familiar counterpart, Hilary.

When I posted about it in the past (on another naming site), the biggest complaints were that it was unisex, and that it sounded like "celery" without the "C" on the beginning. I'm not sure how that's a bad thing? Still, that's what I heard when I posted about it.
    Last edited by ashthedreamer; August 11th, 2011 at 11:55 PM.
    Ashley
    twenty-something namenerd and aspiring novelist

Isabelle Aurora Grace | Caleb Elias Joseph | Arianne Eleanor Daisy | Everett Joshua Charles
    Olivia Wren Camille | Jack August Wilder | Violet Ophelia Claire | Avery Ian George

I agree with the previous poster, Ellery to me sounds too much like celery. Ellery just feels a bit too made up for my tastes. I think there are many better El-names out there.

I have it on my list too, but have the same feeling as ashthedreamer about unisex names. My other feeling is that even though Ellery is not that common, if she's called Ellie as a nn, she'll be one of many, many Ellies, given how many popular names like Eleanor and Ella have that nn.

I never thought of "celery." Nothing offensive about celery anyway!

I like the street-as-namesake connection!

Honestly I'm not a big fan of the name. I know a rather annoying girl named Ellery, which kind of ruined it for me, but the sound isn't appealing to me anyway. It reminds me of "holler" in a way. Just kind of Southern and hokey (not that there's anything wrong with Southern names )