Names Searched Right Now:
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Greta

Re: Greta

Quote Originally Posted by huit
    Greta is one of the top names my husband and I are considering for our own daughter who will be born this autumn. To my ears, it is a very soft sounding name, like Anna or Esther. Probably due to the soft vowels and ending with "ah". (But that's my ears and I respect others' opinions.) I oddly don't immediately think of Greta Garbo when I think of this name. Perhaps because Gretchen has become relatively popular and Hansel and Gretel is such a ubiquitous story. Instead, I think old-fashioned but not dated. My husband even made some sound arguments (Greta is his current top pick):

1. Greta is pretty but also strong.
    2. He could picture a baby named Greta, a girl, a young woman and a grandmother. It always sounds appropriate.
    3. It works internationally which is nice for us as Americans living in the UK whose child may end up living in US, UK, elsewhere in Europe or who-knows-where.
    4. The name is not limiting; it works for a businesswoman or an artist.

His only concern was that we are not German/Swedish etc. Well, technically I am mostly German-American but that's pushing it; it really it is not something we usually think about.
    Those are great reasons! I used to live in the UK.

I think these days, it really doesn't matter if you have German or Swedish in you. You can simply be love with the name or even the culture....I think that's good enough for me!

Ah, Greta! I like her very much. Gretchen is a very common family name for me, but I've always thought it was a little too... I don't know, but the "tch" sounds turns me off. It reminds me of Florence: pretty, but something's not quite right. Greta is like Flora, simple and sweet. Greta is the kind of name that can easily be worn by woman of many different ages and dispositions. It is at once both strong and flowery. Love it!
    "I think that is what life is all about, actually. About children and flowers." -Audrey Hepburn

Quote Originally Posted by quirkflower
    Ah, Greta! I like her very much. Gretchen is a very common family name for me, but I've always thought it was a little too... I don't know, but the "tch" sounds turns me off. It reminds me of Florence: pretty, but something's not quite right. Greta is like Flora, simple and sweet. Greta is the kind of name that can easily be worn by woman of many different ages and dispositions. It is at once both strong and flowery. Love it!
    I totally agree! Thanks!

LOOOOOOOOOVE. Associate it with my mother's childhood best friend from Germany, and a completely sweet and creative friend from college. Only good feelings for me and Greta.

pet peeves: nicknames as given names; unconventional spellings; masculine names on girls
    not-so-guilty pleasures: five-syllable girls' names; virtue and nature names; over-the-top antique names for boys
    (if i repeat name suggestions in a thread, it's because i like them! no apologies here for repeats of great names! )

I really like it. To me it seems a little German/Dutch (maybe because its Gretel without the 'l'?) but that hasn't swayed me from really liking it. I took care of a little girl named Greta (she had a twin named Will) and it suited the young spunky girl very well. I think it could go both ways- feminine and tomboy- which is great! I say you have a winner.