Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Greta

Greta

Hi everyone,

I wanted to know what everyone's impression and thoughts on the name Greta. The first time I saw the name, I instantly dismissed it. But as time went on, and I started to develop my list of baby names, I started to feel like every name on my list is blah. I like my list of names but it seems that there are a lot of babies with the same names and my child will just be one of the 5 Ava's in class, you know? Although I still like Ava very much. I came across the name Greta again, and this time I didn't dismiss it instantly like I had before. It's got very old world feel....still feminine, and not overly common or uncommon. I tend to lean towards vintage names because I feel my child can grow into the names and Greta could be one of those names. What do you guys think? Any thoughts and impressions?

Thanks!

-- Lilacs

Re: Greta

I love the name Greta. It is a very iconic and classic Hollywood name to me because of Greta Garbo.

I agree it is good that it is not overly used, but it still a well known name. Greta evokes a sophisticated European feel to me as well, which is a good thing!

I struggle with Greta. Like you, at first I dismissed it, then came back to it. I keep flip flopping on my opinion of the name.
    Here's why:
    I really like the look of the name. And when I say it out loud (the first time), I like the sound of it. Then I say it again a few times, and it begins to sound...not pretty. (But then again, sometimes I accidentally start to say it with an accent of an angry Russian lady.)

I'm very torn with Greta. At the moment, I like it. Tomorrow, I might not.
    Just say it out loud a couple of times and see if you like saying it a lot. If not, I'd probably take it off the list.

I love Greta! If you're unsure about it, you could always go with Margaret and use Greta as a nickname.

i really love it. i have posted a few times on here wondering about the name. some have referred to it as being harsh. i like the old world appeal of it as well as the spunk. i had my baby girl 12 days ago and named her Greta Juniper. it suits her perfectly. : )