Names Searched Right Now:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Early Twins?

Early Twins?

People always say that twins come early----how early do they normally come? My twins are due in September but my docter says that I'll probably give birth to them in August or July. When were your twins (or twins you know) due, and when did you actually have them?
    Mother of the 6-year-old finger-painter, Benjamin Henry (and proud of it, too)

Also proud to be the mother of blue-eyed twins, Amelia Joy and Athena Maya, born Thursday, August 4, 2011.

Re: Early Twins?

I haven't had twins, but I am one, have several sets in the family, and know others. My sister and I were born six weeks early but both weighed 5lb and were completely healthy. (It was my mother with pneumonia and a blood clot that had the issues). My grandmother delivered her set around 39 weeks, and my aunt delivered hers around 37 weeks. Friends of ours were born at 39 weeks, each weighing over 7 lb!
    So really, I'd think it's an individual thing, and if you haven't had any issues with preterm deliveries of your other kids, and this pregnancy is progressing normally so far, it's not not unrealistic to expect to carry nearly to term. Then again, it seems like most doctors these days will deliver multiples at 36 weeks just to avoid any future complications. :-(

Alexis

I am in week 30 with twins (due in mid august), but the doctors have said that if they try to come at any point past week 34 (first week in July) they will let them come. Until then they will do what they can to stop the labor. Yesterday I actually was put on bed rest with medications to try to slow my contractions yesterday as they feel I've been having too many contractions and that my cervix is too short. They'll check again on Friday and maybe admit me to the hospital for the rest of the pregnancy for closer monitoring. Given these circumstances I don't think the doctors would be surprised if I deliver in June, but I know they would like to help my body hold off until July.
    Not that I have delusions of making it there at this point but they've also told me that at 38 weeks +0 they would like to induce. The reasoning behind this is that with twins the uterus is so expanded that there is increased risk for placental rupture which could be dangerous for both me and the babies.
    I live in Sweden, but I have heard similar information from my friends who have had twins in the States.
    Mama to twin boys Oliver Graham and Luke Axel

37 weeks is considered full term for twins. Their lungs (pretty much the last things to mature) actually develop earlier than singleton's do. My doctor induced my at 36 weeks 6 days, and they were born completely healthy at 5 1/2 lbs. each. I've known some people who have gone to 39 weeks with twins, but be prepared a little earlier, especially if you're having any health complications.

Hi there, I had my twins at home at 36 weeks following a completely uncomplicated pregnancy. Both completely healthy and weighing just over 6lb each. I know people who have gone to 40weeks and I have a friend who had triplets at 34weeks - none of which needed to go to the NICU. Best of luck with your 2! Dahlia x