Names Searched Right Now:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Romeo?

I had a beloved dog named Romeo. Everyone always thought it was an interesting choice. I loved the name and I think it fit him perfectly. I called him Ro for short.
    Ladies: Sybil, Hazel, Claire, Hermione

Gentlemen: August, Henry, Oliver, Dean

I love Romeo, and theoretically I would say--if Juliet is now usable, so is Romeo. The reality is quite different though. For some reason, I cannot disassociate it enough from Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. But then again, maybe it's because I don't know any Romeos. I like PP's suggestion of Roman though. I know an adult Roman who wears it well. I can see it working well on all ages.
    Hopeless romantic and proud momma of two princesses:
    Isabella Jane & Vanessa Rose

Personal I don't like it. I think that Shakespeare's Romeo was a punk. ( I took many English lit classes) And if I met a kid with a name of Romeo, I probably think the same thing.

I do find Romeo a bit pretentious... because it has entered our slang as being an extremely romantic guy. "Wow, your husband's such a Romeo!" No one ever says "You're wife's such a Juliet!" However, Juliet is a tragic name to me (along with Ophelia)... I cringe when it is used. I would never take a Scout seriously... Atticus is out there, but I have never read "To Kill a Mockingbird", so it is not because of the pretentiousness to me. Also, TKAM is a more modern novel, not Shakespeare... which may help to explain the difference in people's minds.
    Emiliana Pari Debuts July 2014
    Soren Pasha, Caspian Bardia, Raphael
    Camellia, Valentina

Dittoing other posters that the difference between the usability of Romeo vs. Juliet is pretty big. Juliet is a name in common usage and I'm sure it's been tied to more than one person over time, whereas Romeo has only ever been "Romeo & Juliet". Add in that it's become a slang term like casanova, et c. and you get why it's still so uncommon.

I'd use Ro or Roo as a nickname, but FWIW, I would never name my child Romeo. I've met two children named Romeo under the age of five in the last few years, and both times I remember thinking it was ridiculous. Especially if he turns out to be an awkward, shy teenager.
    "I have found the one whom my soul loves"
    k ♥ m

Guinevere · Vivian · Florence · Lilleba · Beatrix
    August · Barnaby · Roland · Lester · Whitney